1748128 Members
3610 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: OpenVMS patch location

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

OpenVMS patch location

I have not looked for patches for a while and can not find them now.  Any clues about the current location?  Searches of the HP site are useless.  I copied most of the patches before they were moved, but I don't have the descriptions. What I need more than anything is the patch content listings. 

Thanks,

Dan

14 REPLIES 14
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Dan,

you need a software contract with HP to access the OpenVMS patches. You need to associate the SAID of that contract with your HP passport user id and go to the HP Support Center web page and sign in.

You'll find Patch Management under 'Download options' on the top left of that page. From there you can search for patches, access their descriptions and download them.

Volker.

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

I have a SAID number and it used to be linked just before the changeover of this forum.  Has anything changed?  Why would the link be gone?  I'll get the number and enter again, but...

I just wanted to be sure that the location was unchanged.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Dan

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Dan,

on the main HPSC page, there should be a link on the right-hand side, which will allow you to 'migrate your ITRC data' to the HP Suppot Center. This may help...

Volker.

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

The main item you'll need; the Patch Index Master list is still available once you get access through your SAID.  The second most crucial items of interest, the release notes for the available patches, are NOT available at all individually.  You have to pull the patch or patches to get those.  Speaking from the perspective that *ALL* the important information about the patch goes into the release notes this omission is an incredible nuisance given the way the current patch management tools work.

I will admit that we're just talking more "ones and zeroes" flying through the internet but it would seem more economical and logical to offer the release notes independantly because those aren't usually as large as the entire kits themselves.

Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

itrc.hp.com still seems to get you to the HP Support Center.  Not sure if these forums have a link out there.  The same HP profile will provide access once you link an existing support agreement.  That process took an overnight pause before my support agreements became available. I still miss the vanilla ftp access. 

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>itrc.hp.com still seems to get you to the HP Support Center.  Not sure if these forums have a link out there.

On Top Right, under Other Communities > HP Support Center:

http://www.hp.com/go/hpsc

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

re: Bob,

the 'release notes' are not available as individual downloadable files, but you get them displayed on the screen, when looking up a patch. One excpetion are the TCPIP release notes, which are NOT presented in the ECO Summary Information.

Volker.

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the  replies.  I had missed the transfer of my profile, but that did the trick.

The additional info presented here has been helpful to me and hopefully to others.

As a side note:  Attempts to get to any information about OpenVMS patches via HP.COM have failed.  Clearly HP does not want to acknowledge the existance of OpenVMS users or systems (my opinion).

Thanks again all!

Dan

Tom_Williams
Visitor

I've been trying for months (off-and-on) to get access to the patches since they moved off of the ITRC portal. We can never get in touch with our service people, and when I do get in touch, they send me some useless link.  I've been using VMS since 1983, and now it's getting to the point where I can't wait until we migrate our systems to Linux, and get rid of HP altogether.