Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimizing For SAS & Multiprocessors

SOLVED
Go to solution

Optimizing For SAS & Multiprocessors

I have just recommended to our developer team that it's time to optimize the server for SAS.

When I do this in Linux for Oracle and MySQL, I use the /proc filesystem and adjust the number of open filehandles a machine is allowed to have, and some corresponding files, all during run time.

My question is where do I start off with HPUX?

I know there aren't that many HPUX/SAS cross-skilled folks who might be around to give me a full recipe, but a few good starters for [recompiling the kernel?] would be great, especially since this is a 4 processor system, an HP 9000/800/4050.

I plan to make my full findings avaialble to the community, so feel free to get in-depth, points abound.

-Karl R. Balsmeier
"Unix is the Net"
1 REPLY
Bill Douglass
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: Optimizing For SAS & Multiprocessors

Check out this link:

http://www.sas.com/partners/directory/hp/hpuxwp2.pdf

It has several good suggestions about optimizing your HP-UX system for SAS.

Not surprisingly, some of the most significant issues have to do with disk and filesystem issues, rather than kernel tuning. Since SAS is very disk-intensive, I would recommand trying to balance I/O across as multiple spindles.