4713 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 10gR2 Virus Scanning of Attachments stored inline

Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

Oracle 10gR2 Virus Scanning of Attachments stored inline

Hello everyone.

Want to understand how people are doing this today.

We have an app that stores attachments inline, and I am not aware of any tools that does virus scanning of such data either prior to be stored on after being stored.

If you have any experience with such an issue, can you let me know ? I was thinking that we would have to intercept the app when the save button is pressed, and do a virus scan at that point, prior to store the data.

I am not sure if that is what people do.

Thanks,

Henrique
"to be or not to be, what was the question ???? "
3 REPLIES 3
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle 10gR2 Virus Scanning of Attachments stored inline

Hello,

if the application has such an exit it is a big benefit, but you need to be able to inspect what is in the DB as well.

At least there is a chance that an infected file is not known to the virus engine at the time when saved, but 5 hours later it is and then it is all done.

If you have to be on you own, you can think of writing a trigger that redirects the save to another table and stores a standard document in place instead saying "Document will be available after Virus check".
A jobbatch can do retrival, scan and storeback later.

But I do not know a standard product for this.

Volker
Henrique Silva_3
Regular Advisor

Thanks Volker.

We are really trying to get away from custom code and move into standardizing more and more.

I was thinking the same as you, that we need to do maintenance on the stored data also, and that can be a nightmare, especially once your atachments becomes larger and larger.

I do not want to re-invent the wheel here, so, if anyone has done this, or have a product in mind, I would appreciate it.

Cheers and thanks again,

Henrique
"to be or not to be, what was the question ???? "
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

There is Oracle's product called "Oracle Collaboration Suite Email virus scrubber"
It work along with Symentec AntiVirus Scan Engine (SAVSE).

Check out metalink doc ID 317201.1