5054 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 64-bit

SOLVED
Go to solution

Oracle 64-bit

Hi,
Anyone knows why would Oracle-64 bit run slower on an HP-UX 11.0 64-bit than Oracle 32-bit. Could anyone provide any document from HP which explains that. Would appreciate your information. Also I would like to know HP's recommendation for developers on 64-bit paltform.

Thanks

Senthil
5 REPLIES 5
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

What kind of hardware? What version of Oracle? What was the last major patch bundle installed? Is the "slowness" in Oracle applications (the ones written by Oracle), or third party/home grown applications? Raw or filesystem for the table spaces?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

I'll give you one of my standard answers. Check to make sure that you did not apply one of the tuned parameter sets that sets timeslice to 1 on your 64-bit version of 11.0. That would do it every time. Also, are the installations equivalent? Lastly, 64-bit applications will not outperform 32-bit applications. 64-bit is not a performance enhancer but rather a resource enabler. 64-bit can outperform 32-bit because the memory limits can be removed and buffers and other shared memory structures can be much larger. It you have very CPU intensive applications, it is quite possible for 32-bit to run faster.
In your case however, I suspect that the kernels are not equivalent, the disk layout is different, or the oracle is tuned differently.
The Oracle installation documentation gives you pretty good starting points for tunables.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.

Thanks for your responses. Appreciate your help.

I am sorry. I shouldn't have mentioned Oracle. Let me re-phrase the question. HP says that any 32-bit ISV software that runs on the 64-bit architecture outperforms the same 64-bit ISV software without any change in the platform (hardware/os/disk/etc.,).
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor
Solution

From
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/files/unprotected/64bitAppDev.pdf

Why shouldn???t you port to 64 bits?
??? Many applications do not need 64-bit addressing.
??? Porting to 64 bits may require significant effort, depending
on how ???clean??? the source code is.
??? Unless the application can take advantage of the larger
address space, performance is likely to be better in 32-bit
mode.
Should you
to Port
to 64 Bits?

[...]

Oracle does use the bigger address space - don't forget to make a generous SGA.

Thanks for all your help and would like to close this thread.

Thanks

Senthil