108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 7.3.4 Installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Massimo_37
Frequent Advisor

Oracle 7.3.4 Installation

I am about to install Oracle 7.3.4 on HP UX 10.2. The installation guide mentions about setting $ORACLE_BASE for OFA compliant databsaes. On my server, I want to set up Oracle like our old server (for ease of copying files from old server). But on our old server echo $ORACLE_BASE does not return a value. $ORACLE_HOME is /devusers/oracle7.
In the new installation would I have to specify a value for ORACLE_BASE. And if I have to what is the easiest way of finding out the $ORACLE_BASE value for the old server(i.e can what files should I look for on the old sever to find out it's $ORACLE_BASE value)

Many Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Nicolas Dumeige
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oracle 7.3.4 Installation

Hello,

ORACLE_BASE is the main Oracle directory that contains all the releases and administration scripts, i.e. the directory wich contain your Oracle installation.

Cheers

Nicolas
All different, all Unix
Massimo_37
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the response, but if you could copuld you please name a couple of directories that is part of the $ORACLE_BASE directory ?
Would it matter , if ORACLE_BASE and ORACLE_HOME refer to the same directory as we have got only one version of Oracle on this server
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor
Solution

You should set $ORACLE_BASE to the same as $HOME directory of the database user (tipically oracle) and $ORACLE_HOME to $ORACLE_BASE/product/734
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Mel_12
Advisor

Hi,

Here is my setup. Glad to notice that I am not the only one running dinosaur 7.3.4..

$ echo $ORACLE_BASE
/u02/PROD/oracle
$ echo $ORACLE_HOME
/u02/PROD/oracle/product/7.3.4

The few times I setup other instances on the same box and different box, I was able to uproot all the binaries to the location where I want them to live. I setup all the env variables to reflect the new instance name etc. The reason for this is because we don't have a solid track record of all the patches and as you are aware, Oracle de-suported this version a long time ago.

Regards,
Mel