6842 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 8.0.4 RMAN Legato problem

jacky400
Advisor

Oracle 8.0.4 RMAN Legato problem

DB: Oracle 8.0.4

I want to have rman backup directly to tape,but my system doesn't have legato installed .
Is the oracle 8.0.4 come with Legato? Or the HP 11.0 come with Legato.If yes,how can i install ? Thx a lot

6 REPLIES 6
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle 8.0.4 RMAN Legato problem

Hi Jacky,

From Oracle 8 release 8.0.4 onwards LSM (Legato Storage Manager) will be shipped with Oracle

With Oracle8, backup and recovery is integrated with the Oracle Server. For backups that are written to tape, an MML (Media Management Layer) from a third party is required. This MML can be purchased from a number of Media Management Vendors (MMV) that participate in Oracle's Backup Solutions Program (BSP). BSP is part of Oracle's Business Alliance Program. Oracle8 release 8.0.4 will include an MML developed by Legato. Customers can choose whether or not to install this MML developed by Legato for use with Oracle8. Starting with Oracle8 release 8.0.4, customers will have a complete backup solution out of the box sold and supported by Oracle.

Legato LSM is separately installable software which enables the backup of Oracle database files to tape.

Read Note:62287.1 in Metalink for Installing and Using LSM (Legato Storage Manager)

I Hope this helps.

Indira A

Never give up, Keep Trying
jacky400
Advisor

Thanks for your prompt reply .

But i can't find the Legato in the installion option of oracle 8.0.4

U mean Oracle 8.0.4 onward have legato shipped,does it include the version 8.0.4?
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi

Legato Storage Manager (LSM) was first included in the Oracle server bundle on Digital Unix with the Oracle Server 8.0.5 release.

If installed, it will appear on the installed products list through the installer (orainst), or using the $ORACLE_HOME/orainst/inspdver utility.

Example:
8.0.5.0.0 Legato Storage Manager

When doing an installation of the RDBMS, you are prompted for the LSM installation.

Example:
Do you want to install the Legato Storage Manager (LSM) media management product for Recovery Manager tape backup and restore?

The LSM executables are loaded into /usr/opt/networker when root.sh is run. Refer to the oracle 8 Installation and Configuration Guide

LSM installation is done by way of the root.sh script. Once root.sh has completed the LSM installation, you can verify that all required subsets were installed with the following command:

# setld -i | grep -i ORCL

ORCLCLNT200 installed Legato Storage Manager Client
ORCLMAN200 installed Legato Storage Manager Man Pages
ORCLNODE200 installed Legato Storage Manager Storage Node
ORCLSERV200 installed Legato Storage Manager Server

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
jacky400
Advisor

I installed legato network 7.1.2 and the networker module for oracle 3.5

After relink the oracle binary,rman still not work

I tried to use the sbttest ,but it complain

/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library: libobk.so
/usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory
libobk.so could not be loaded. Check that it is installed
properly, and that LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable
(or its equivalent on your platform) includes the directory
where this file can be found. Here is some additional
information on the cause of this error:
No such file or directory
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

You will need to link the libobk.sl file to the media management library for Legato. You will need to check the Legato installation information about what file this needs to be linked to. With 8.0.4, you will need to relink the binaries to get this working, and you might have to do a special make command to get it working.

I would recommend moving to 8i or 9i, where the file is a dynamic link, and doesn't require any special make commands or relinking.

Thanks,

Brian
jacky400
Advisor

I have tried to relink the oracle binary ,but also not work ,is there anyone can help me ?Thx a lot

I have done following so far,

ln -s $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libobk.sl /usr/lib/libnwora.sl

cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib
make -f ins_rdbms.mk "LLIBOBK=/usr/lib/libnwora.sl"