New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 8.0.6 & HPUX 10.20 limits..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris B
Occasional Advisor

Oracle 8.0.6 & HPUX 10.20 limits..

Hi Experts,
What is limit of SGA for Oracle 8.0.6 under hpux 10.20 ?
When you bump up your SGA to the max, I think shmmax needs to be increased but can any body suggest me some more details on this ?
Thanks,
Chris.
Chance happens to all but turn it to account is gift of few.
5 REPLIES 5
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Ian_4
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle 8.0.6 & HPUX 10.20 limits..

Shared memory segments are controlled by shmni and shmmax kernel parameters.
The shmmax is limited to 1 GB - It is necessary that all SGA should be placed in one segment of shared memory. The value of SHMMAX (maximal size of one shared memory segment) should be set up as high as possible. I have that set to shmax set to 1073741824 and this is working fine.
Chris B
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Ian & JRF,
Looks like I have to ask again, 1GB is limit ?
One of the document (RCMEMKBAN00000027) says HP-UX 10.20 can have 2.75GB of shared memory and Ian's reply says 1GB.
Now my System has 3.78GB (T600) of memory, What is max I can go at my system for shmmax and for oracle SGA (8.0.6)?
Thanks,
Chance happens to all but turn it to account is gift of few.
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

Read this in full;

http://www.dutchworks.nl/htbin/hpsysadmin?h=3&dn=58635&q=oracle%20SGA%20Si%7ae&fh
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

I believe to have SGA of 500M for each database is quite reasonable. You don't have to use all you Shared memory for an SGA. If you have Glance installed, check the value of Shared Memory from System Tables. See attached.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.