4729 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 8.1.6 and HP-UX 11.0 32 bits

Richard Patenaude
Occasional Advisor

Oracle 8.1.6 and HP-UX 11.0 32 bits

Good day,

I installed Oracle 8.1.6 Enterprise Edition on a K100 and a K200 both running hp-ux 11.0.

My problem is that applications running against the instances on the K100 runs about 10 times faster than on the K200 which has double the CPUs (2 vs 1) and double the memory (512M vs 256M). Both have the same patches installed. The K200 had Oracle 7.3.4 installed which was running fine. I've traced everything I could think of without any luck. I know this is not much to go with but any hint on how seemingly identical machines would react so differently with Oracle 8.1.6.

Thank you

Richard.
5 REPLIES 5
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Richard:

512MB is very small for an Oracle server but I think your problem is that you used one of those stupid Tuned Parameter Sets that sets timeslice to 1 rather than 10. That will kill you every time. Also, make sure that your max_dbc_pct is not set to the default 50%.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Anthony deRito
Respected Contributor

Richard, have you compared how connections are being made on each server. By this I mean, are the applications that are performing calls to your databases using tcp or ipc. If they are remote calls, then of course you need to use tcp. But if they are local calls, you don't want to use tcp becasue there is too much overhead. There is a local domain protocol called the unix domain protocol. Check out the man page on the word "unix".

What I did was to verify that my tnsnames.ora file has an alternate entry like this...

[name]=
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL=IPC)
(KEY=name)
)
(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = nnnnnnnnn)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn)
(PORT = nnnnn)
)
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = name)
)
)

The IPC entry is required for local connections. We recently modified our config and our Oracle applications run 50% faster!

There is a "bigbrother" script in lsof that you can run to see real time network connections. Grab this script, and make a connection to your database locally. You can see exactly which protocol you are using.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Richard,

Suggest you look into the kernel parameters on the two servers and see if you can match them.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Richard Patenaude
Occasional Advisor

Thanx to everyone who replied.

A. Clay : I know 512M is very small but the system on which the database is faster is on a K100 with 256M. As for the timeslice it is set at 10. dbc_max_pct is set at 5 on both machines.

Anthony : I use both TCP and IPC like you suggest.

Sanjay : I had done that but did it again just in case. Both are identical except for some of them.

They are :
K200 K100

eqmemsize 15 30
ksi_alloc_max 4256 2208
maxswapchunks 384 256
nclist 1124 612
ncsize 1788 1500
nfile 1371 910
nflocks 350 400
ninode 764 476
nkthread 947 499
nproc 532 276
shmseg 60 120

Here is some new info on my problem.

I traced the application on both databases. I get an elapsed time of 30 seconds for all the sql statements executed on my K200 database and 4 seconds for the same statements on my K100 database.....

Hope to get more feedback...thank you.

Richard.

Anthony deRito
Respected Contributor

Richard, you say you use TCP and IPC but have you verified that local connections are actually using IPC? I do not mean to second guess you but this would clearly explain your problem. The best way is to use lsof while you are making connections and check exactly which protocol you are using.

Ignore this comment if you have already verified.

Tony