108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 8.1.7 OS requirements

SOLVED
Go to solution
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle 8.1.7 OS requirements

Ok, I just read through the desupport notice info. The scoop is that for the HP-UX PA-RISC platform, these are the dates of interest.

Error Correction Support (ECS): 31-DEC-2004
Extended Support (ES): 31-DEC-2007
Extended Maintenance Support (EMS): 31-DEC-2006

So for HP-UX, bug fixes (ECS) will still be made until the end of 2004. Or, if you have purchased metal support (EMS) from Oracle, until the end of 2006.

But, since you have a specially licensed version of Oracle obtained from HP, I'm not sure where this leaves you.....
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi marty,

I believe an upgrade to 9iDB release 2 will be a good move.

we too are looking in this direction. We have been using Oracle 8.1.7.4 for quite some time now.

Oracle 9iDB release 2 (9.2.0.4) do have bugs but still, you get better support on it from Oracle.

all the best
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi Marty,

8.1.7.4 is rock solid. Should be no prob to stay on it for a while.

Support for SAP-Customers has been set to end 31. Dec 2004 recently, so there will be support available in the world in case of emergency (may be it will require insert of coins).

Upgrade from 8.1.7.4 to 9.2.0.4 is an easy one. Just do it according to the book and you will be fine. Just be sure to upgrade runInstaller to at least 2.2.0.18 before you installl the patchset and any additional bugfixes with OPatch. Opatch requires perl >= 5.6.1 (NOT 5.6.0 !!!) so you should go for 5.8. Use a recent Version of OPatch.

Hope this helps
Volker