1752780 Members
6825 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 8i Installation problem

nick hargun

Oracle 8i Installation problem

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help me with this ...Im installing Oracle 8i on an HP L3000 server thru an emulator on win2000. Now the thing is, when the Installation finshes and it starts to create the start database, after 1% nothing happens it stays like that for hours. Could you help me with this
4 REPLIES 4
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Hello,
The installation stage creates a sample database which can be avoided during the Installation time by selecting no to the create database screen.

You can later create the database using the
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbassist to create the database using a Graphical screen,
else you can use the command line option from the svrmgrl prompt to create the database.

Look in for the create database man pages.

Thanks

Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

Hi Nick,

The problem may be with the starting of the DB. Have you set all the oracle recommend parms on the system? I had this problem a while back on a solaris box. Turned out I have misspelled a kernel parm in /etc/system. So, my suggestion would be to check your kernel parms on the L3000, (ie shared memory, semiphores)

...jcd...
If I had only read the instructions first??
allen_7
Frequent Advisor

check the kernel and environment parameters
Kevin Hansen
Advisor

run dbassist seperately as mentioned above then instead of creating the database save off the scripts and run them individually , should help track down the problem