Operating System - HP-UX
1753511 Members
5017 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 8i time and system time difference

Oracle 8i time and system time difference

Hi all,
One of our customer is facing a problem with Oracle display time and the system time.
System timezone is set as LST-6:00 (This is in Sri-lanka, where different is 6hrs to GMT.)
The system was running under incorrect TZ and at that time the oracle showed 1.00hrs difference.
After correcting the TZ using 'set_parms' the oracle time was synced with system, however after few days (No system reboot happen,only a oracle db down took place) now the oracle time is 11hrs less than the system time.How this happens, Is this is a OS releated or oracle issue.?
Thnx
Nuwan.

To get out of a difficulty, one usually must go through it
4 REPLIES 4
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I'm affraid Oracle did not pick up the timezone change until it was restarted.
After a "set_parms" it's highly recommended to reboot your system.

regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Nuwan,

The internal oracle timezone setting should pick itself up automaticlly from your session, so once you change your local TZ enviroment variable, it will be set. However the listener will not do this. The listener will need to be reset. This doesn't explain why the time was 11 hours less, so something else must have happened.

Thanks,

Brian
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

see also:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=188627

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
R. Allan Hicks
Trusted Contributor

You might want to check the TZ environment variable for the account that you used to start the server and the listener.

We discovered an interesting Oracle feature some time back. If you start the server from an account where the TZ is set to the local TZ and the listener in an account say where the TZ GMT. Sysdate will be in local time if you connect through the bequeth adapter (i.e. scott/tiger) and in GMT if you connect via the listener (i.e. scott/tiger@orcl).

"Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible