Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 9.2: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

Oracle 9.2: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error

Hi all.

I realized that my /oracle/rdbms/log/ directory
contains 30.000 *.trc files, produced by 4 instances running in the last 3 months.
all these files seem to contain something
like this:

----------------------------------------
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
JServer Release 9.2.0.2.0 - Production
ORACLE_HOME = /oracle
System name: HP-UX
Node name: dbsermm
Release: B.11.22
Version: U
Machine: ia64
Instance name: oa
Redo thread mounted by this instance: 0
Oracle process number: 0

Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error, errno = 1
-------------------------------------------

All these instances are working really well.
What kind of trouble are these trace files trying to tell me?

Oracle 9.2.0.2, HP-UX 11.22, Itanium.

Thanks for yor help!

Claudio
4 REPLIES
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle 9.2: Ioctl ASYNC_CONFIG error

Hi Claudio,

http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/TSG/manuals/databases/oracle/standard/a90347/appb_hp.htm

Note:
If the Oracle software owner does not have the MLOCK privilege, Oracle9i on HP-UX generates trace files that include the following error:

Hope it helps,

Robert-Jan.
Hari Kumar
Trusted Contributor
Solution

If you are using RAW disk partitions for you Database, The following from Administrator Reference Guide from Oracle ----------

The asynchronous I/O pseudo-driver on HP allows the Oracle server to perform I/O to raw disk partitions using an asynchronous method, resulting in less I/O overhead and higher throughput. You can use the asynchronous I/O pseudo-driver on both HP-UX 9000 servers and workstations.

MLOCK Privilege
To allow Oracle9i to execute asynchronous I/O operations, the group that the Oracle software owner belongs to (dba) must have the MLOCK privilege. To give the dba group the MLOCK privilege:

As the root user, enter the following command:

# setprivgrp dba MLOCK

To retain the MLOCK privilege after rebooting, create the /etc/privgroup file, if it does not exist on your system, and add the following line to it:

dba MLOCK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
If the Oracle software owner does not have the MLOCK privilege, Oracle9i on HP-UX generates trace files that include the following error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information is Wealth ; Knowledge is Power
Hari Kumar
Trusted Contributor

The documentation available at -------
http://otn.oracle.com/documentation/index.html

The Part Number A90347-01
In that Go for HP specific pages

Thanks
Information is Wealth ; Knowledge is Power
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,
According to metalink, to fix the problem, you'll need to grant oracle owner privileges to lock memory pages. This is done with the command:
# setprivgrp dba MLOCK
After this, no more trace files are generated.
Hope this helps!
regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)