4467 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 9i Linking problems.

Fii
Occasional Advisor

Oracle 9i Linking problems.

Hello,
Still struggling with my oracle installation.
I get a linking error 'unable to invoke target of makefile ins_sqlplus,ins_rdbms,ins_precomp.
I ignored all during the installation and tried to do a relink after the installation. No luck!
Notable error is 'unsatisfied symbol /home/oracle/products/9201/lib//libldap9.so.1'.
I also get unable to load library /opt/langtools/lib/...' I do not have the folder langtools/lib in my /opt directory.
Do I need to install any patches?
Attached is my log file when I go a 'relink oracle and relink ldap'
6 REPLIES 6
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor
Fii
Occasional Advisor

Yeah I have done that. I actually attached the log from relink all to my earlier message. Please read that.
Relink all still fails!
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Have you set the kernel values required by Oracle 9i, Refer the oracle docs for the same
never give up
Fii
Occasional Advisor

Have set all my kernel parameters carefully. Will look through again and get back to you. As far as I'm aware, that's done.
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Fii,

During the install of 9.x on HP-UX 11.x, if you are experiencing linking errors:
Make sure of two things and this would solve most of the linking problems.

1. Make that you are current on all the O/S patches.specially all the libs.
2. Make sure you set your PATH correctly. /usr/lib , /usr/ccs/bin , /usr/ccs/lib

This error is raised because for both Oracle8i and Oracle9i on HP, the linker will look for libXm.sl, libXt.sl AND libX11.sl when compiling the binary 'ctxhx'. Some of the shared libraries are missing in /user/lib. Thse necessary shared library does not exist in /usr/lib

As long as the base X11/Motif libraries already exist, then symbolic links can be used. If the base X11/Motif libraries are missing, the necessary OS packages will have to be installed first.

Check for the existence of these in /usr/lib and if they do not exist, please make the necessary symbolic links.

Solution Description

The linker (ld) cannot locate the X11/Motif shared libraries in /usr/lib.

1) Verify if libXm.sl exists in /usr/lib:

% cd /usr/lib
% ls -al libXm.sl

If this file does not exist, the linker will fail. It should be a symbolic link to another file, the base X11/Motif library.

2) Check for base X11/Motif libraries.

% ls -al libXm.*

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 00:14 libXm.1@ -> /usr/lib/Motif1.2/libXm.1
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 00:14 libXm.2@ -> /usr/lib/Motif1.2_R6/libXm.2
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 00:14 libXm.3@ -> /usr/lib/Motif1.2_R6/libXm.3
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 00:14 libXm.4@ -> /usr/lib/Motif2.1/libXm.4

Looking at the above, you see that libXm.* has several incarnations, libXm.1, libXm.2, etc. These are roughly the same shared library but different versions. If libXm.sl does not exist, a link must be made pointing to the most current library version. For example,
as libXm.4 comes from Motif 2.1, we can use it to create the shared library libXm.sl.

You can also simply use the highest numbered library i.e. libXm.4 is higher then libXm.3.

3) Create the shared library as a symbolic link to the base X11/Motif library.

% su root
% cd /usr/lib
% ln -s libXm.4 libXm.sl

OR

% ln -s /usr/lib/Motif2.1/libXm.4 /usr/lib/libXm.sl

Perform steps 1-3 for two other libraries, libXt.sl and libX11.sl.

4) Return to the installer and click RETRY.

I hope this helps
Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

it is also recommended that you run the script procided by metalink (Note:189256.1) to verify that the system is configured correctly according to the Installation Guide.

regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)