5554 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Oracle 9i RAC GCM LAN on HPUX 11i

Anand_31
Advisor

Hi,

There are a couple points to address here.

In 9i RAC, Oracle choses the Interconnect to communicate with the other node(s) in this order,

1) If you provide a IP adress value for the CLUSTER_INTERCONNECTS parameter in init.ora, that gets priority 1.

2) Fabric Interconnect.

3) The value returned by the gethostname() system call.

Some other notes ...

A bridge or hub is mandatory when using ethernet for the interconnect. HP does not support a straight through ethernet connection for a private ethernet interconnect.

Private network connection can be any of the following

- HyperFabric
- RS232 Serial
- Ethernet or FDDI

RAC can use HMP or UDP for private communication. HMP is a better choice over UDP. Check the following link for more info on HyperFabric and HMP.

http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/htdocs/9iRAChp.html

For ease of operation, understanding and administration, it is better to keep your primary (public) hostname seperate from the private IPs.

Assume you have 2 NICs on each node. As an example, /etc/hosts on NODE 1 can look like,

So, 192.168.1.10 is for the 1st NIC and 192.168.1.100 is for the 2nd NIC which is dedicated for PRIVATE INTERCONNECT COMMUNICATION WITH THE OTHER NODE ONLY.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Regards
anand
Abdul Salam H S_2
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

I have got one HP Hyperfabric card in each server.Can I use the ethernet as the standby cluster interconnect in case Hyperfabric fails in one of the nodes? And how to do this?

Thanks and Regards,
Abdul Salam