108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 9i RAC with ServiceGuard-OPC

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank Gomes
Occasional Advisor

Oracle 9i RAC with ServiceGuard-OPC

In ORAC, how can I manage archive logs from each instance running on separate systems?

I don't have a Cluster File System (CSF). So, I can't create an archive mount point and mount it on all the nodes in my cluster, or can't I?

Thanks in advance!!!
4 REPLIES 4
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Oracle 9i RAC with ServiceGuard-OPC

I would suggest mounting filesystems from your shared disk array, and them using normal backup utilities or RMAN to backup the archivelogs. You cant share a single backup directory to all the servers, however you do not nessesarily need the archivelogs themselves to be available to all the servers, just the online logs which will be in your raw device areas.

Brian
Frank Gomes
Occasional Advisor

For ORAC, the DBA has made the archive logs available on a file system a requirement. They will back them up to tape too.

We think there is a soultion. In ORAC, you can have all the Instances write to multiable archive logs. So, each archive logs on each system will have all transactions for all Instances in ORAC.

I will feedback my findings.

Thanks for the reply.
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

That is going to end up using a large amount of I/O on each system to do.

One idea that I toyed with, but never looked into feasibility is using the XP technology to mount a vg group as mounted with write on one system, and read-only on the rest. You could look into that, but like I said, I haven't verified that it can work.

Brian
Frank Gomes
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply, that's an idea. I don't think I/O will be in issue. I am using 2G fiber channel connection with a good size cashe on the EMC array.

I am mirroring between two arrays. I am using Veritas Cluster Volume with Software mirroring. The two arrays are in to different buildings. It's working, but we need to do more testing.

O'before I forget, the dba solve the archive issue. It looks like you can configure ORAC to write achives, for eash instance, to all nodes in the cluster and visa versa. It worked, but we need to test recover.