Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 9i RAC

SOLVED
Go to solution
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

Oracle 9i RAC

I am trying to get an idea of how 9i RAC work. Regarding share disk, I have seen reference to fireware driver. I just want to test the concept. Is it possible to use OCFS as a mean for a share drive? and how about nfs as a share drive?
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
6 REPLIES
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle 9i RAC

Hi Chan,

Yes you can use OCFS (oracle Cluster File System).

With NFS, the file system is hosted by one node; the other nodes must access the file system via the network. On NFS there is a single point of failure and slow data throughput.

With OCFS the File system is natively mounted on all nodes

For Oracle9i Real Application Clusters customers, OCFS will eliminate the need to manage and set up raw devices, making cluster database administration much easier as it looks and feels just like a regular file system.

With Raw Devices it is possible to have a maximum of 255 raw partitions, on OCFS there are no limit on number of files.
Moreover, with a shared file system, the different instances of the database can share archive logs, which makes media recovery much more convenient because every node has access to all archived log file when needed.

Known Limitations: at this time Oracle Cluster File System supports Oracle Datafiles. This includes Redo Log files, Archive log files, Controlfiles and database Datafiles. The shared quorum disk file for the cluster manager and the shared init file (srv) are also supported.

Read the documentation carefully before installing OCFS

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

please note that you can do clustering without OS clustering software in 10g RAC (eg: you buy OS, you buy Oracle -- you can now create a database cluster)

regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

look at

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/6803-0-0-225-121.aspx

Steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

Guys,
this is great information. However, on otn site, I am seeing reference to building via shared drive, e.g firewire and OCFS. Let me confirmed with you, according to your input. You can get by with OCFS as a shared drive, no additional hardware needed (for testing proof of concept only)?
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
Chris Fitzpatrick
Occasional Visitor
Solution

OCFS is a clusterable shareable filesystem. it is not hardware or clusterware per say.
it relies on the fact that each node can physcially connect to the disks in question in order for it to be shareable. eg, SAN shared scsi etc...etc.....
CDI Support
Advisor

Hi

Have a look at this link . It talks in detail about setting up RAC using a firewire drive.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/hunter_rac.html

Hope it helps

Sundar R