New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 9i installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rommel T. Misa_1
Occasional Contributor

Oracle 9i installation

Hi,

Need to install Oracle 9i on an rp3410 running HP-UX 11i v1 Enterprise OE. But the installation is not completed due the makefile command is not found on the system. What software do I need to install to solve this?

Thanks.

Rommel
2 REPLIES 2
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Oracle 9i installation

Hi Rommel,

When you say you have errors while installing Oracle 9i on HP-UX 11i,due to makefile issues did you check the $ORACLE_HOME/install/make.log to find more details.

make file errors are raised when some of the shared libraries are missing in /user/lib

Eg: - "Error in invoking target install of makefile /ctx/lib/ins_ctx.mk"

While installing Oracle 8i/9i on HP, the linker will look for libXm.sl,libXt.sl and libX11.sl when compiling the binary 'ctxhx'.

Check for the existence of these in /usr/lib and if they do not exist, please make the necessary symbolic links.

Solution Description

1) Verify if libXm.sl exists in /usr/lib:

% cd /usr/lib
% ls -al libXm.sl

If this file does not exist, the linker will fail. It should be a symbolic link to another file, the base X11/Motif library.

2) Check for base X11/Motif libraries.

% ls -al libXm.*

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 00:14 libXm.1@ -> /usr/lib/Motif1.2/libXm.1
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 00:14 libXm.2@ -> /usr/lib/Motif1.2_R6/libXm.2
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 00:14 libXm.3@ -> /usr/lib/Motif1.2_R6/libXm.3
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 00:14 libXm.4@ -> /usr/lib/Motif2.1/libXm.4

Oracle Metalink says that there are X-Library links that need to be created manually for 9i installation:
Due to a known HP bug, the default HP-UX 64 operating system installation does not create a few required X-librarysymbolic links. These links must be created manually before starting the Oracle9i Release 2 installation. You must have superuser privileges to run these commands.

$ su - root
$ cd /usr/lib
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libX11.3 libX11.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXIE.2 libXIE.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXext.3 libXext.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXhp11.3 libXhp11.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXi.3 libXi.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXm.4 libXm.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXp.2 libXp.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXt.3 libXt.sl
$ ln -s /usr/lib/libXtst.2 libXtst.sl

I hope this helps.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle 9i installation

hi rommel,

as IA mentioned above, it is important to post the exact error from the installation log file. Without that, it will be quite difficult to help you.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)