7873 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 9iR2 RAC with SGE for RAC

Hasan_9
Regular Advisor

Oracle 9iR2 RAC with SGE for RAC

Hello,

Does Oracle 9.2.0.6 RAC for HP-UX platform use VIP? (like as 10g). If yes, how should I configure it? I plan to setup 9iR2 RAC on HP-UX with ServiceGuard Extension for RAC. I wonder how I should configure VIP. Installation guide is not talked about it. Also how should I determine which interface is for cluster interconnection and which one is for public use? During the installation of 10g there are some question related to this issue. However in 9iR2 nothing is about them. What about interconnection?
And at last which component is responsible for failover and failback? How does this matter (failover) handle in 9iR2?

Hasan
2 REPLIES 2
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

From

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4663078177884
In addition to Private & Public IP address, 10g RAC requires VIP (Virtual IP).
Document did not explain much about VIP.

Could you please explain what is the purpose on this extra IP address (VIP is
not required in 9i).

More info there than here

Steve Steel

If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Hasan_9
Regular Advisor

VIP is an extra IP address that is not set on NIC.I mean Oracle CRS decides about it
At the time of failure this IP (VIP) move to other server. listener configure done on VIP address and NIC's ip addresses are transparent to users.
for example in a two nodes cluster servers, if node 1 failes, its VIP move to node 2 and users still can work with both of th IP addresses and do not require to reconfigure the listener.