New Discussion юеВ

Oracle DB Business Continuity Plan

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bala_8
Frequent Advisor

Oracle DB Business Continuity Plan

Hi,
we are using weblogic based application containing different modules ...

we need to come with a business continuity plan, in such a way that if any of the application modules fail (not the database, only application), the user must continue his business by filling in the data in any forms (eg:- Excel, Access, etc) manually. By the end of the day, the user must upload the records he created into the Oracle database ...

There may be relationship's among the tables and the user may not be aware of the all the table names he need to load ... he simply execute a script or press a button using mouse to upload his job to the database for the current day .....

How to achive this ? Would like to hear all your ideas in this regard ... Or atleast give some hints to proceed ....

Would appreciate your valuable contribution to this thread ..

cheers
-bala-

4 REPLIES 4
Bala_8
Frequent Advisor

Re: Oracle DB Business Continuity Plan

Sorry for not including the version details :

I'm running Oracle 8.1.7.3 on HP-UX 11.0
Tom Jackson
Valued Contributor

Hi Bala:

I would create a web page that allows users to use a file browser to select a file or files. The file or files could also be zipped to make the upload (and download?) quicker.

Then I would wright a servlet the gets the uploaded files and stores them in a temp file on the web server. I

Now you need to format a record entry for the Oracle DB. My guess is the data type is BLOB or CLOB for the Excel/Access files. You will also need drivers so that your web page can communicate with Oracle. I'm runing Oracle 8.0.5, but the Oracle driver I'm using is for 9i. The driver is backward compatible, so it works. The reason I need a more recent driver is because I use BLOB data in some of my records and the 8.0.5 thin driver doesn't work with BLOB data. The OCI driver for 8.0.5 would work, but I couldn't get it to install.

Now you need a browse panel that allows you to search your DB.

You have much to do grasshopper.

To
Bala_8
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Tom ....

It is really usefull information from the forum ... Still looking for more advices from the rest ....

Someone told me about Oracle Web ADI (Applications Desktop Integrator) ...

Did anyone tried this before ??

cheers
-bala-
Tom Jackson
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi again Bala:

Using Oracle Web ADI is a good idea. However, there are other IDE's (integrated development environments). Sun has one -> http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tools/j2eeide-toolkit/version2.1/. IBM has one called Websphere Studio Application Developer (WSAD) -> http://www7b.boulder.ibm.com/wsdd/. HP also has one but I had difficulty fing it. I use IBM's Websphere Studio Appllication Developer. The development IDEs are very powerful development tools. IBM's has great debugging, search, import and release features.

hth,

To