108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle Database won't start

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Oracle Database won't start

We performed some maintenance on my N-4000 server over the weekend(backround in case this is the culprit). Afterward, we issued the oracle_start command to restart the db; it mounted and then the following error:

ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [4193], [810], [872], [], [], [], [], []

Has anyone had this happen before, and if so, how to recover?

I've attached the start log for your viewing. Thanks in advance.

Chris

It wasn't me!!!!
5 REPLIES 5
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle Database won't start

Chris,

ora 600 is the error that could be due to a lot of other reasons. You may want to check your logs further to see if there are any other errors before and after this error.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, ORA-600 is a generic error which means that the database produced a core. Consult the database alertlog for more details. Also, there should be a core file undr $ORACLE_HOME. Other than that, I think you'd have to call Oracle support.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Christopher,

The Oracle error manual says this is a bug.

quote //
00600, 00000, "internal error code, arguments: [%s], [%s], [%s], [%s], [%s], [%s], [%s], [%s]"
// *Cause: This is the generic internal error number for Oracle program
// exceptions. This indicates that a process has encountered an
// exceptional condition.
// *Action: Report as a bug - the first argument is the internal error number

//enquote.

Hope this helps.

thanks
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

The message ora-00600 is a catch-all internal message (meaning a process met a low level or unexpected condition) that can be caused by:
time-outs
file corruption
failed data checks in memory
hardware, memory, or I/O errors
incorrectly restored files

What you need to do is call Oracle support and give them the following information:
events that led up to the error
the operations that were attempted that led to the error
the conditions of the operating system and database at the time of the error
any unusual circumstances that occurred before receiving the ORA-00600 message
contents of any trace files generated by the error
the relevant portions of the Alert file

...They may come back and say it's a hardware issue, so in the meantime you may want to start checking your system for any alert messages so you can resolve (up front) that it is not hardware.

Just a thought,
Rit
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Thank you for your replies and, unfortunately, confirming my fears. A month ago, we had an electrician in that cycled the wrong power feed, the one that was connected to my fc-60 and five other servers. As you know, it's not a good thing when your disks are shut down before your server(which never went down as it was on a different feed). EMS almost immediately began spitting out failed disk messages, but they could have been true or not. Management decided to defer our wishes to power down/power up everything in sequence right then until later, this past weekend. Not only did the disk prove to be defect, but the controller and backplane as well. We were able to rebuild, but apparently experience some amount of data corruption. Short story long, our dbas are now rebuilding the db and are then going to import from an export taken that Friday. Thanks again for your help.

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!