1753716 Members
4498 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle Enterprise Linux - Make your bets

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Oracle Enterprise Linux - Make your bets

What do you think about the release of Oracle Enterprise Linux for free (no cost)?

How it will affect to distributions like Red Hat or Suse? (according to your oppinion)
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
10 REPLIES 10
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

I think its a good idea and will be like an addition for Applicattion/Web server running RedHat (or Suse).
Everything depends from provided support - this is the basic reason for existing of commersial Linux distributions. If distro is officially supported from Oracle and undet GPL this will be great.

regards,
ivan
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

I am long unhappy with Oracle's licensing, support and bruiser type attempts to collect money. I also think RH's license/support requirement is a violation of GNU.

I am likely to continue to use centos where I have the choice and legacy concerns make a move to Suse difficult.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Ragu_3
Trusted Contributor

OEL will be another milestone in the progress of free software towards acceptance of free/GNU software by mainstream businesses, which have now understood the importance of freedom. The prescence of Oracle will give a boost to further development of free software despite low competitive cost.

RedHat and SuSE will do better and excel, they will innovate more and do good too.

Oracle vouching for its "Linux" offering by way of indemnification shows its commitment to support.
Debian GNU/Linux for the Enterprise! Ask HP ...
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

Well good news, a move in the right direction !

As for Red Hat and Suse they get their money from support and I do bot think this will affect them much ... no in the big account's erea, but for smaller shops this will help along distributions like Centos.

Also good support is not so ease to find, and who best then Oracles if you have a real big problem.. and can afford to pay ?

This also means that some with less money to spend will now be inclined to use Oracle instead of "free" competition "MySQL,PostgreSQL, DB2" and the more ground oracle cover where the profit are marginal, the better.

Only my 2 cent worth rumbling !

enjoy life.

Jean-Pierre Huc
Smile I will feel the difference
Alpha977
Valued Contributor

Hello!

I think is a good idea.

i have used to learn to my collegues how is a database, how install to linux Red Hat and create an application server with OC4J.

Eric Singer
Frequent Advisor

We'll more than likely go with Oracle Enterprise Linux on our nodes that are 100% Oracle (RAC nodes) after our Redhat licensing/support is up for renewal within the next two years. I don't see us changing other servers from Redhat.

Redhat will definitely lose some revenue from this move. My big question is if Oracle is going to add to the Open Source community or is it going to leech off other peoples work?

When it's all said and done, I think Linux will be strenghened by this.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>>> My big question is if Oracle is going to add to the Open Source community or is it going to leech off other peoples work?

This is a very good point. I assume that improvements will be added by oracle as was done in the RHEL kernel. But let's see...
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Alpha977
Valued Contributor

Some years ago, Oracle made the "DB Machine", was a Unix-like product with a Oracle db installed at same time.

This product was completly unsuccessful, and they remove immediatly.

Now they are trying again but now with a Linux platform.
Checkpoint is making a new firewall product with a customized Red Hat platform.

But i don't mind they going over the Open Source community.
I don't mind how money Microsoft give to Oracle for some advice for develop SQL Server 2005.

Oracle is more near Linux now (most of Oracle book using Linux platform example) but most far from Open Source.

This is only my opinion.

Bye!
George Liu_4
Trusted Contributor

I think Oracle unbreakable Linux is more appropriate a CentOS clone. It will eat up portion of RH market, which was reflected by the stock market already. I don't know what you means for free as I saw it still wants service or support fee but half the RH price.

If it is real free like debian and CentOS, I'll try it.