1748185 Members
4525 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle Enterprise Manager

Scott Buckingham
Regular Advisor

Oracle Enterprise Manager

Ok, I give up. How do I start the OEM (8.1.7) on an HP-UX 11.00 box? I just got it installed and now I would like to use it! I can't find the command in the Oracle documentation that I have.
Long time dabbler, first time Admin / DBA
8 REPLIES 8
Edward Alfert_2
Respected Contributor

take a look at... one of the post meantions 8.1.5 which should be the same as your version:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xeaf869b1e860d511abcd0090277a778c,00.html

something like:
su - oracle -c "/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.5/bin/startup".
"Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life." - Confucius
Scott Buckingham
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the response, Edward. However, I have no such file (startup) in my bin directory.
Edward Alfert_2
Respected Contributor

do you have a dbstart and dbshut script in the bin directory?

how about using:
su - oracle -c "dbstart;lsnrctl start"
or
su - oracle -c "dbstart"
su - oracle -c "lsnrctl start listener"

see:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xeaf869b1e860d511abcd0090277a778c,00.html

"Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life." - Confucius
Scott Buckingham
Regular Advisor

Edward,

I actually have the database running (as well as the listener), but I'm after the same type of application that we have on the Windows side to monitor things (such as tablespaces, creating users, etc.) On Windows, I start with the Enterprise Manager and go from there. I was hoping there was something similar for HP-UX.
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi
To start the OEM Console; from the command prompt, type:
oemapp console
but since I don't use this myself in an unix env. I'm not sure.

Second I want to ask, if you are already using a Windows version of the OEM, why don't you just manage all your databases from there?
The typical setup consists of a server running the Oracle Management Server (OMS) and all DBA's have Client OEM Consoles that connect to the same OMS for managing their databases thru the Intelligent Agent.

This way Events and Scheduled Jobs can be set up to run independent of having the console up and running.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Tom Danzig
Honored Contributor

We start ours via:

su - oracle -c 'lsnrctl dbsnmp_start'

Don't know if this applies to you. This was set up by our DBA's.
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi again
lsnrctl dbsnmp_start
starts the Intelligent Agent, not the OEM Console.
But you'll need this as well if you'll be setting up events and jobs scheduled from the OEM.

Once again to clear things up; the OEM structure as of version 2.1 is a three tier setup, which concists of:
- OEM Console (On client Workstation / PC)
- OMS management Server(On some server)
- Intelligent Agent( on each database server)

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Scott Buckingham
Regular Advisor

Thanks for all the responses I received. I'm still not having much success on the Unix- side, but I do have OEM access on the Windows-side (special thanks, Andreas!). My concern was that we have an older version of OEM (1.3.6) and I use it for all our other connections to 7.3.4, 7.3.4.5 and 8.1.5 databases. I just wasn't sure if it was going to continue to work.