Re: Oracle Expert needed....server=dedicated question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi rita,

Please allow me add the following too:

Briefly, MTS works by having a shared pool of server processes that service a larger pool of end users. It is very much like connection pooling â since process creation and management are some of the most expensive operations you can ask an operating system to perform, MTS is very beneficial in a large-scale system. So, I might have 100 users but only five or ten shared servers.

When a shared server gets a request to run an update, or execute a stored procedure, then that shared server is dedicated to that task until completion. No one else will use that shared server until that update completes or that stored procedure finishes execution. Thus, when using MTS your goal must be to have very short statements. MTS is designed to scale up OLTP systems â a system characterized by statements that execute with sub-second response times. Youâ ll have a single row update, insert a couple of line items, and query records by primary key. You wonâ t (or shouldnâ t) run a batch process that takes many seconds or minutes to complete.

If all our statements execute very rapidly, then MTS works well. We can effectively share a number of processes amongst a larger community of users. If on the other hand, we have sessions that monopolise a shared server for extended periods of time then we will see apparent database â hangsâ .

Note that you can have a combination of both MTS and dedicated server modes. Simply you should not execute long running transactions under MTS.

Hope this helps too!

b
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

[sorry the above post did not come out well. did a copy paste from my M$ word :(. Hope this one is OK]

hi rita,

Please allow me add the following too:

Briefly, MTS works by having a shared pool of server processes that service a larger pool of end users. It is very much like connection pooling â since process creation and management are some of the most expensive operations you can ask an operating system to perform, MTS is very beneficial in a large-scale system. So, I might have 100 users but only five or ten shared servers.

When a shared server gets a request to run an update, or execute a stored procedure, then that shared server is dedicated to that task until completion. No one else will use that shared server until that update completes or that stored procedure finishes execution. Thus, when using MTS your goal must be to have very short statements. MTS is designed to scale up OLTP systems â a system characterized by statements that execute with sub-second response times. Youâ ll have a single row update, insert a couple of line items, and query records by primary key. You wonâ t (or shouldnâ t) run a batch process that takes many seconds or minutes to complete.

If all our statements execute very rapidly, then MTS works well. We can effectively share a number of processes amongst a larger community of users. If on the other hand, we have sessions that monopolise a shared server for extended periods of time then we will see apparent database â hangsâ .

Note that you can have a combination of both MTS and dedicated server modes. Simply you should not execute long running transactions under MTS.

Hope this helps too!

B
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Rita,

In a MTS environment you have two levels. The dispatch level and the server level. Don't worry about the dispatcher. It can handle a lot, since it only dispatches requests to the shared server. Dedicated server however grab what they can. Memory, cpu, disk, you name it. So it is indeed preferred. Depending on your oracle version, you can classify user into resource groups and limit the amount of resources, they can use.

my 2 euro cents. ;-)

Michael
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your help. I think I have a little better grasp on this topic.

Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily solve my problem. But that's just the old standby...."it must be the operating systems fault....it's not my problem" (so sayeth the programmers & DBA's)

Someday's you feel like...let 'em farm out my job. I could use the rest.

Thanks,
Rita

...Consider this post closed...
Brian_274
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rita,
It seems to me that you believe the initial connection is the problem. Many reasons can be the cause of your problem. To help you solve this you need to give us a little more information. What version of oracle, what platform. Was any update performed on production recently? Are you using locally managed or dictionary managed tablespaces. Maybe your tables or indexes are fragmented. How many people usually connect to your database and how many are connecting now. Do you run anything like stats pack or some other type of stats collection tool? What are the worst queries running on the box at the time of the performance hit? Does the db run slow all the time or just certain times during the day. Look at the v$sql view for the number of disk reads the queries are doing. In a perfect world you want to have no disks reads and have all your data in memory, naturally that doesn't happen. Realalistically you want only a couple thousand or so depending on the amount of data being return in each query. If a query is going 100,000 disks each execution that's going to slow down the server. So if you have time update this with some of the above information and we'll be able to help you out more.
Brian.