New Discussion юеВ

Oracle: LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT

SOLVED
Go to solution
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

Oracle: LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT

Hi!

I know you know the LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT parameter. It supports the symbol %t, that includes in filename the 'thread number'. Now... what is exactly this number? why this number should be interesting for me? Do you think it's a good idea put this thread number in the archived log filename?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Oracle: LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT

Hi,

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/doc/oracle/server803/A54641_01/ch23.htm

extract:
The %T and %t are useful only when the Oracle Parallel Server is used.

Hope this helps
Volker
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

below an extract from metalink:

Parameter type: String
Syntax: LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT = filename
Default value: Operating system-dependent
Parameter class: Static
Range of values: Any string that resolves to a valid filename
Oracle9i Real Application Clusters: Multiple instances can have different values, but identical values are recommended.

LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT is applicable only if you are using the redo log in ARCHIVELOG mode. Use a text string and variables to specify the default filename format when archiving redo log files. The string generated from this format is appended to the string specified in the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST parameter.

The following variables can be used in the format:

%s log sequence number

%S log sequence number, zero filled

%t thread number

%T thread number, zero filled

Using uppercase letters for the variables (for example, %S) causes the value to be fixed length and padded to the left with zeros. An example of specifying the archive redo log filename format follows:

LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT = "LOG%s_%t.ARC"

Neither LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST nor LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT have to be complete file or directory specifiers themselves; they only need to form a valid file path after the variables are substituted into LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT and the two parameters are concatenated together.

In brief, you can use it if it helps you feel at ease with your system. With RMAN backups, you really don't need to care about the name of the archive log files.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

Thanks Volker. Now I know I don't need it.

Ciao!
Claudio