1753797 Members
7878 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle RAC Real Application Cluster with 1 node Service Guard cluster

Jerie Dahlman_1
Occasional Contributor

Oracle RAC Real Application Cluster with 1 node Service Guard cluster

Does anyone know whether I can install/configure Oracle 9i Release 9.2.0.3 RAC on one node?

I know I have to have MC ServiceGuard OPS installed. But would a one node test of RAC work if there is only one node in the ServiceGuard cluster?

I'd appreciate any experiences or knowledge that anyone may have.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

Re: Oracle RAC Real Application Cluster with 1 node Service Guard cluster

One of the main purposes of RAC is to load share and still maintain HA.

If you do not plan to use two nodes, I would save yourself some money and not use RAC.

I imagine anything is possible, but you are considering some of the most expensive software HP has and then do not plan to utilize it as it is intended.

I do not belive the Oracle portion would even install without a second node, the scripts would error out.

Good Luck!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Jerie,

As Robert has pointed out Oracle RAC is almost as much about load-balancing as it is about HA. The exercise would seem to me to be pointless.
I'd recommend you just get standard Oracle & standard MC/SG & then you could use MC/SG to monitor & restart Oracle if it goes down. Basically a single node cluster that just keeps the app(s) available.

My $0.02,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

The answer is yes, it will work, but as already pointed out, is a bit of a pointless excercise.
The whole idea behind OPs or RAC is to have the database accesses by more than one node at the "same" time.
Why spend extra?
The only reason I can see for starting with this setup is if hte plan is to get it working on one node and then add in one or more ohter nodes.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!