1753786 Members
7297 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle RAC and HP-UX LVM Filesystem

Kishor Bagul
Occasional Contributor

Oracle RAC and HP-UX LVM Filesystem

Currently we are using HPUX 11i (rp8420), Oracle 9i with Raw LV for database. We want to convert raw LV to filesystem but at the same time we are also thinking to go for Oracle 9i RAC.

Per my understanding HPUX LVM filesystems are not support under 9i RAC, Does any have similar situation ?
Does any one knows when HP-UX filesystem will be supported under Oracle RAC ?
Can some one share more ideas in area ?

Thanks in advance.
Kishor
4 REPLIES 4
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle RAC and HP-UX LVM Filesystem

Oracle 9iRAC needs on both nodes to access the same datafiles. So it needs RAW devices or a FS that accept to be used simulteanously by 2 servers. This kind of FS is not available for HP (exists for TRU64 I believe). So on HP-UX you will need to have Raw to have RAC.

If you want to go from Raw to FS, the simpliest solution I see is to create new datafiles on FS and switch objects on it (alter table move tablespace, alter index rebuild). Problem is that it will need twice the disk space. Other solution is to export, recreate TBS on FS and import...

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Veritas (the same people who designed and license the VxFS filesystem used by HP-UX) offer a product that will do just what you are looking for.

http://www.veritas.com/Products/www?c=keymessage&refId=145&psId=1786
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Note that to install 9iRAC on HP-UX you will need MC_SG extention for RAC to be supported by oracle (don't know if it's really mandatory for install).

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you can also read document 182177.1 on Metalink :
"Step-By-Step Installation of RAC on HP-UX"

Regards,
Jean-Luc
fiat lux