6014 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle RAC installation, does not see cluster

Omar Alvi_1
Super Advisor

Oracle RAC installation, does not see cluster

Hi,

I've configured two nodes with MC ServiceGuard, and the cluster seems fine.

Now, when installing Oracle 9i RAC on these systems, while the cluster is active, the GUI does not show me the screens for installing on cluster nodes; it skips to standalone db installation window.

What needs to be done so that oracle will see the cluster at installation time?

The cluster and packages are active and the shared vg is activated in exclusive mode.

Really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks and Regards,

-Alvi
7 REPLIES 7
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Oracle RAC kind of sets up its own ha cluster environment.

With SG you install the application on one node, get it working and then the next. Then you set up a script to handle failover when the node fails.

Theres more, but you may be expecting something that isn't supposed to happen.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Make sure that the OPS or RAC software for SG is installed (I see the package as B5161FA).

Make sure that both nodes are in the /etc/cmcluster/cmclnodelist file, and that it is readable by oracle.

You should have an entry for each node in the file on both systems as:

sysname1 root
sysname1 oracle
sysname2 root
sysname2 oracle

I normally build the cluster first, then install Oracle. If you have a problem still, let me know, and I can post my installation document after I check it for proprietary information.

Thanks,

Brian
Omar Alvi_1
Super Advisor

Steven, thanks for your response.

Hi Brian,

I have the cmclnodes file configured and readable by oracle.

I initiallly installed MC serviceGuyard ... which was conmfigured and working fine. Thereafter Oracle doesn't go to RAC installation.

I have tghe step by step Oracle documentation for HP-UX Oracle RAC environment. Nothing I missed there.

Will appreciate if you have any other document, more detailed.

For this issue I found that there's a command lsnodes, which during installation should give the nodes of the cluster.

lsnodes gave me the following error.

/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library : /opt/nmapi/nmapi2/lib/libnmapi2.sl
/usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory
Abort (coredump)

Now the shared library dld.sl exists and is executable by all. nmap thinkg though doesn't exist. And if its not there its notr a prerequisiste.

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,

-Alvi
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Ok, this is my document. It is edited to remove out any specific information. I also left a quick run-down of how to setup TAF as well.

Thanks,

Brian
Omar Alvi_1
Super Advisor

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the document. Very enlightening.

The main difference, which you mentioned in your earlier post as well is with the cmclnodelist.

Edit /etc/cmcluster/cmclnodelist and add each node in the following format:
- root
- oracle

I haven't added the root and oracle users explicitly in this file. However, my version of MC ServiceGuard (11.14) says that this file is no longer needed. Will definitely try it though.

I havew one other isse bothering me. I have the cluster up and the package is active. However, for some reason I'm not able to activate my shared volume group (to be used by oracle) in shared mode. Its activated in exclusive mode.

Could this also cause Oracle not to see the cluster. The error I get when activating the cg in shared mode is as follows:

vgchange -a s vgora

vgchange: Failed to get vg ownership, 251 closing conn.
vgchange: failed to get volume group ownership -Function is not available (251)

Thanks and Regards,

-Alvi

Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Alvi,

To be honest, I have no clue. I had a similar problem getting Oracle to allow for a cluster install until I worked out this process, that was repeatable.

You might want to try "vgchange -S y -C y " and see if that allows you to set the shared and cluster flags. After that, it should allow you to mark the vg as shared. Otherwise, you might want to back out and reinstall your version of SG.

One thing that I do remember, was that the RAC SG installation was not valid for HP-UX 11.11i on PA-RISC hardware, but only on HP-UX 11.23 with Itanium. I had to use the OPS software which was listed in an Oracle note somewhere. Not sure if this is still true, or if you are aware of it.

Brian
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

If you do not have Serviceguard OPS Edition, or SGeRAC for later Sg versions, installed then you canot use the vgchange -a s option. This is only available for use once you have installed the above product.

I suspect that the Oracle install may also be checking for this, hence the problem you are seeing.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!