1753717 Members
4419 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle and HPUX version help??

Chris Fadrowski
Super Advisor

Oracle and HPUX version help??

My DBA's have requested they want to run Oracle Release 2 of 11g. One of the requirements is HPUX 11.31 Sept 2008 B11.23.0809.326a. I am currently on B11.23.0709.312a.

It is my understanding the i need to rebuild the OS and this is NOT a patch set for HPUX. Is oracle really pushing for alot of HPUX customers to completely reload the OS to support their fixes instead of just patching the bugs in 11g release #1?

Does anyone know the answer?
12 REPLIES 12
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Chris:

> It is my understanding the i need to rebuild the OS...

That's not really true. You use 'update-ux' to move from one "update level" to the next. This differs from the application of a standard Quality Pack bundle insofar as both patches and products are available in the new Operating Environment update DVD and both are refreshed as necessarily. This isn't the same as a cold-install.

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60130/update-ux.1M.html

Regards!

...JRF...

>> It is my understanding the i need to rebuild the OS and this is NOT a patch set for HPUX. Is

Well it's not just a patch set, but neither would I describe it as a complete rebuild of the OS. You will need to use update-ux to upgrade from 0709 to at least 0809. You can read about it in the update guide:

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-6552/5992-6552.pdf

Pay particular attention to Chapter 6 and appendix A.

As for Oracle forcing you down this route, well it doesn't surprise me... I think a lot of Solaris users are in for a shock with their new vendor.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hi

I'm not sure how to answer this, however, if oracle says they require it for oracle to work with hp-ux then you'll be saving yourself a lot of headaches by conforming.

There are kernel parameters, firmware versionss, kernel, network, command, diagnostics patches. All are targets to be upgraded.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Chris Fadrowski
Super Advisor

i researched the update-ux utility and it is NOT recommended by HP. Even opened a case and asked. they said i could but the recommend a rebuild.

Chris,

Can you provide the case ID - I'd like to follow this through and ask why are RC is recommending that...

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Chris Fadrowski
Super Advisor

sure..

Direct cut and paste from the case;

Hi Chris,

Even when update-ux is a fully supproted procedure we never recommend it, we recommend to perform a cold installation of the OS and then recover from backup your file systems and any other application that is not part of the OS, most of the times takes more time to fix the problem that update-ux gives you than perform the cold installation and recovering from backup.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Chris,

So there are 2 issues here:

i) Is update-ux "recommended by HP Support" - I will follow that up seperately.

ii) Do I need to "update" to 0809 release of the OS or later for Oracle 11gR2.

Well according to the Oracle install manual:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e10852/pre_install.htm#CIHFICFD

The answer is NO you don't. The command given there is only checking the release level of a quality pack patch bundle. So from what Oracle are saying here you can simply apply the latest patch bundle in the form of a quality pack (QPK) via swinstall rather than having to actually run update-ux.

I'd still like to follow up the comment on the use of update-ux if you can get a case ID.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Chris Fadrowski
Super Advisor

Duncan, if i may, can i ask what CD that quality pack is on? (date on CD) i assume is the latest OS install disk. And thank you, you have been quite helpful

ahh well... being a HP'er I never use DVDs as everything internally is always available in SD depots... I would expect it to be on the install DVDs though as the patches go on as part of an OS install.

Alternatively you can downlod it:

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/releasePage.do?BC=main|releaseIndexPage|&releaseId=0909-11.31

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo