1753440 Members
4805 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle and OS conversion

Vince Arends
Frequent Advisor

Oracle and OS conversion

I'm not sure this is even in the correct forum, but here goes, anyway. I am currently running Oracle 8.0.5 with Oracle Financial Applications 11.0.3 and Oracle Web Application Server 3.0.2 on a K460 running HP-UX 11.0 (all 64-bit). Users connect to the Oracle Apps with JDK 1.1.7.18o. I have Enterprise Manager 1.6, Reports 2.5, SQL*Plus 8.0.5, on my PC, a couple users have Discoverer 3.1, other users have ADI in various versions. I have been told I need to migrate Oracle and the Applications to a (ugh!) Windows 2000 server by the end of 2001. We only have about 20 Oracle users. Current production Oracle databases total about 2.5 Gig. Looks to me like I'll have to go to Oracle 8.1.7, but should I go to Oracle 11i, or stay with 11.0.3 for the Apps? Anybody out there done anything like this? Looking for help, comments, suggestions and the infamous Oracle "gotchas". Would like to run at least two Oracle instances (prod and test/development). Comments please, also, about having two boxes (one prod, one test). We are looking at getting LH3000 for the servers. Anybody done multiple Oracle instances on one W2K server?
5 REPLIES 5
Stephen Bouzan
Frequent Advisor

I recently set up 8.1.7 on a LC2000 running W2K. I came across an nasty problem when I tried to create a database, I kept getting a ORO-03113 error. Check the install docs and you will find references to the sqlnet.ora file. Change the (NTS) to (NONE).

As for the other questions, use all the lastest components.

Good Luck
False sense of well being.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Is 8.1.7 certfied with Applications ?
I would suggest to stay with 11.03.
Easier to handle, less trouble with clients.
Look at the certification matrix.
I would take 8.1.6 for database.Make an export of your old stuff, create the databases on the Windows server ( why don't you go for an A500 or so ?) and import the stuff over there.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Vince Arends
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the input. I just noticed a typo in my original question: it should be "by the end of 2002", not 2001.
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi Vince,

can think of no real hard problem. SQL-NET interface for 8.1.x is still 8.0.5 so from the network side you should be fine.

Take care about the typical export / import mismatches like:
- timezone & date & time & NLS_DATE_FORMAT
- charsets for the databases & NLS_LANG

I found it usefull to create some help-tables to easily verify an export/import action:

- T1 : byte, char filled both fields with the same values. This is usefull to validate the charset of special chars (i.e. Umlauts or so)
- T2 : byte, int(16bit), int(32bit), int(64bit)
filled with edge-values to check for mismatches of processors (low-byte/high-byte order) esp. when you go from UX->NT. Like:
-> Oracle can handle this upon export/import, but if your application writes additional binary files with these datatypes, you might need to convert files !

- T3 : byte,date -> with some refvalues.

just my 2 ?
Volker
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

For information this post describes supported revisions per platform.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x05006d96588ad4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Good luck,
Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)