108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle and four node cluster

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Yes, my SG experience is little outdated - as far as I remember, in 2002 in order to install SG for Linux you were need to re-compile kernel, as far as I remember.

As for SG vs. RH Cluster Manager - I'll vote for Cluster Manager because it's not restricted to HP hardware and IMHO, has bigger installbase and simplier for configuring. Of course, if you (your company ) have some HPUX SG experience, SG for Linux may be your optimal choice.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

I have big experience with TRU64 cluster and OpenVMS cluster, not with SG. I know that nothing else can be compared to them, but must find working solution.
By the way, there is a tape library on FC. Can one server do backup of all file systems in entire cluster or every server must backup its file systems?
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Serviceguard for Linux
Honored Contributor

Vitialy is correct that SGLX was more "kernel intrusive" in the past. Luckily, with RH3 that was no longer required.

On 3rd party server, SGLX does support some 3rd party servers, specifically from IBM and Dell. I know that will not meet the needs of all customers - but then again, no product meets the needs of all customers. Check out the certification matrix on www.hp.com/info/sglx for the list of supported servers.

On backup, I'm no expert but know that most high end backup SW can control backup of a number of servers from one server. What I am not certain of is whether these can "failover" if that is your desire.

Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Thanks
Still do not know about feature differences.
About backup: In TRU64 which is share everything cluster, every member can access all tape devices, even local tapes on other nodes. If tape is FC, then every node can access it directly. And no special backup software is needed since everything is on cluster file system so everyone can access it dicectly.
Ivan Ferreira knows how it works in TRU64.
Personaly, I would prefer SG, but not sure what would other say.
Any idea how to do backup on FC tape library in linux cluster envirement?
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

>Still do not know about feature >differences.
I afraid you need read & compare RH Cluster Manager & HP SG docs. IMHO, there no enough people which work with both products.

http://www.redhat.com/solutions/clustersuite/
http://h18026.www1.hp.com/solutions/enterprise/highavailability/linux/serviceguard/index.html

and, BTW, you should understand that as SEP said, you cannot run the same Oracle instance on several nodes simultanuosly without Oracle RAC.

>Any idea how to do backup on FC tape >library in linux cluster envirement?
Each cluster node is a separate computer in RH Cluster Manager or HP SG, so in order to backup data from your second node you may use scp (rsync, ...) to copy files to your first node, which has attached tape.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Thanks Vitaly
I will have to read documentation.
Too bad there are no poeple that worked with both products.
About things what SAP said: of course I understand that same Oracle instance can not run on several nodes simultanuosly without Oracle RAC.
This is not what I mean with active/active. I mean the same Ivan means and also cluster file system ability.
OK, I see there is no way to get TRU cluster functionality.
Delrish
Trusted Contributor
Solution

RedHat Cluster Suite is based on opensource project. It can provides both high availability and loadbalancing for you. As I know RH Clusster Suite use LVS for load balancing.However Serviceguard just provides high availability.Also mangement on RH is web based and in HP solution is client based.Another difference is in price. Also RedHat CS supports RedHat GFS but SG deos not support it ( If you want to use GFS). You can use SG on all the linux distro but RHCS will be installed just on RedHat enterprise linux.