Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle database connectivity using C or C++

Vasudevan MV
Frequent Advisor

Oracle database connectivity using C or C++

Hi,

Can anyone tell me, how can I connect oracle database using C or C++ on HP-UNIX?. Is there any reference document or link? .

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Vasu
6 REPLIES
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle database connectivity using C or C++

Are u looking PRO*C or something ?
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

While at a very limited level you could use popen() or system() to execute a sql script and capture the output, the real method is to use Oracle's ProC that will allow you to embed SQL statements inside your C or C++ code.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
malay boy
Trusted Contributor

Agreed we used ProC here to build our application and connect to oracle database.
There are three person in my team-Me ,myself and I.
Vasudevan MV
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your replies.

I am not looking for pro C, looking for some kind of library through which we can connect to oracle database using C or C++.

Note: I had posted this question yesterday night, so I could not assign the points. Is there any otherway to assign the points?

Regards,
Vasu
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Vasu,

Pro*C/C++, precompilers connect to oracle database using embedded sql statement connect.

Example:-

EXEC SQL CONNECT :uid IDENTIFIED BY :pwd;

SQLLDAGetCurrent(&lda);

EXEC SQL EXECUTE
BEGIN
------ END;
END-EXEC;

Oracle supports
· C, by means of the Oracle Call Interface (OCI), as described in the Oracle Call Interface Programmer's Guide

· C++, by means of the Pro*C/C++ precompiler, as described in the Pro*C/C++ Precompiler Programmer's Guide.

Demo programs are located in
$ORACLE_HOME/precomp/demo/proc directory.

I hope this helps

Indira
Never give up, Keep Trying
Blueao
Occasional Visitor

If I want to connect to the Oracle Database which is installed in different host, how can I
write this sentence:
EXEC SQL CONNECT :uid IDENTIFIED BY :pwd;
?