6413 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle explain plan changed after export

Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

You followed note 1011167.7?

Maybe Fred is right: use adadmin (as apps user - usualy appsmgr) to compile all database objects.
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Patti Johnson
Respected Contributor

Dave,

Did you also verify that the indexes do not have statistics. I remember an issue with 8i and Apps 11.0 where rebuilding indexes with the parallel option which set the parallel degree on the indexes - that caused the CBO to be used even with the RBO set at the db level.

Check for dba_indexes for indexes with a value for degree greater than 1.

You can correct with
alter index noparallel;

If that does not do it please post the old and new execution plans.

Patti
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

I used ML doc 1011167.7 as a starting point for the export (I precreated tablespaces and datafiles to minimize downtime). I have already run scripts to compile all invalid objects after the process. I have attached a screen shot showing the explain plan (new). The old is identical except for the index MLT_MATERIAL_TRANSACTIONS_N2 is used instead of N1. Both indexes are composite: the N1 index has INVENTORY_ITEM_ID first, N2 has TRANSACTION_SOURCE_ID first.
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

Sorry about the delay...

Try to put the inventory_item_id condition first and to use organization_id column in the query (I always use it in my queries to INV tables), like this:

"...
where msi.inventory_item_id = :b3 and
msi.organization_id = :bn and
mmt.inventory_item_id = msi.inventory_item_id and
"

Finaly, if you use a date interval in this query it may execute via MLT_MATERIAL_TRANSACTIONS_N1:

"...
mmt.transaction_date between :p_date_from and :p_date_to and
"

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Patti Johnson
Respected Contributor

Have you looked at the trace file created by an actual run of the query, not just the plan from SQL Navigator? On my system the index on transaction_source_id is more selective than inventory_item_id, so the plan does appear to be the correct one. A level 12 trace would give you better information as to where the time is being spent.

Also check out metalink note 70008.1 - this gives an explaination of the problems with using parallel index rebuilds. It should be fixed in 8.1.7, but I would make sure all the indexes are set to noparallel just in case.

Patti
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Dave,

You can also issue an 'alter session set db_file_multiblock_read_count = 8' and see if that changes the explain plan for the query as well.

Brian