108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle kernel parameters on HP 9000 K580

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andy Westlake
Occasional Contributor

Oracle kernel parameters on HP 9000 K580

We have recently aquired two HP K580 servers, one with 512Mb RAM and the other with 2Gb RAM both with 3 processors, to run some Oracle databases for us.
Does anyone have a document or any infortmation about kernel parameter changes that I need to make.

Many thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Oracle kernel parameters on HP 9000 K580

I think most of us will agree that the answer is ..... it depends. It will vary for number of instances/users/??? However, the tuned parameter set for oltp server would give you a good start. Sam/kernal config/confi parms/apply tunned parm set/ This is pretty good for starts. Make notes of the differences and readup on why. You may have to make a few chance based on your own needs.
If I had only read the instructions first??
eran maor
Honored Contributor

Hi

i agree joseph .

it is very dep. on the config of the site .
but one think i will check it the bufer cashe of the computer .
if your system is not an nfs server ( dont think that oracle server is will be an nfs server ) i will check the :
dbc_max_pct
dbc_max_pct defines the maximum percentage of memory to be used by dynamic buffer cache.

i will define it at 10 % to free memory for the oracle , the default is 50 %

you also need to check
dbc_min_pct
dbc_min_pct defines the minimum percentage of memory to be used by dynamic buffer cache.

i will define at 5 % .

this will improve the aloc of the memory .

be also be advise of all the kernel params that you can read :
http://docs.hp.com//hpux/onlinedocs/os/KCparams.OverviewAll.html
love computers
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

There are a lot of variables in tuning your kernel parameters, but saying that we have a sort of template we use on all our K series for Oracle. Maybe it will be a base to start from, we use it on all new servers to start with;

STRMSGSZ 65535
nstrpty 60
maxswapchunks 4096
shmmax 0X20000000
shmmni 512
maxfiles 1024
maxusers 200
msgmax 32768
msgmnb 32768
msgmni 150
msgseg 7168
msgtql 256
nfile 9282
semmns 512
semmni 512
semmap 550
semume 50
semmnu 100
dbc_min_pct 2
dbc_max_pct 5
maxuprc 500
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

What hp-ux OS version do you plan on using? 10.20, 11.00, or 11i?? Also, what version of Oracle? On your one K, the one with .5 gb of memory, you might want to add more, like say 1gb at least. Also, how large will this db be?
Live Free or Die
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

If you do use the OLTP Tuned Parameter set make sure that you set timeslice to 10 rather than 1; this is a serious bug in that template in some releases.

Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi
As this is system dependent (HP-UX versjon / Oracle version) the best thing to do is to look up:
http://docs.oracle.com
and select your database version, and then your OS version.
Here you'll find the documentation for the different CD packs.
Read the Release Notes for your version of Oracle as it gives the required values for running Oracle.

For a Oracle8i Release 3 database on HP-UX 11 64bit:
http://docs.oracle.com/DOCS_DOT_PDF_Storage/a86566.pdf

Stefans list is good as well and I would like to add:
maxdsiz
maxdsiz_64bit
These must be set high enough for the installation to work fine, at least 256M for a Oracle8i and 1G for 9i database installation.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Andy Westlake
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks gentlemen for all your help. We have used a combination of your information and have two happy systems.
fuji_ooh
Occasional Advisor

Hi

First of all between 13:30 and 13:45 I can see a lot of new activity. There is a new application which gets loaded/started at that time. System is heavely paging in and has some pg outs as well (this is undenstable).
Second file systme(s) on c13t0d1
are always very busy and this disk gets some hammering constantly. Try to spread the data more evenly accross disks.
Thidly the system manages the load preaty well for most of the tome.
Forthly I have to look closely to kernel params, (I will leave it for tomorrow).
Cheers,
Florian