Operating System - HP-UX
1752271 Members
4718 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle listener using a lot of CPU time?

Mott Given
Frequent Advisor

Oracle listener using a lot of CPU time?

What does it mean if the Oracle listener process "tnslnr" suddenly shows up among my top CPU using processes, when usually it does not even show up on the radar in this way?

Mott Given
6 REPLIES 6
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle listener using a lot of CPU time?

How big is the listener.log file ?

If too big , suggestion is to stop the listener , rename or remove the listener.log file and restart the listener.

Jean-Luc
fiat lux
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

There are known Oracle bugs that can cause this problem. What version of Oracle are you running?

Regards,
John
Mott Given
Frequent Advisor

It looks like 106 MB.
-rw-rw-r-- 1 oracle dba 106292780 Nov 8 10:14 /oracle/v817/network/log/listener.log

Its Oracle v8.1.7. I'm not sure how to tell you more specifically what the version/revision # is.

Mott Given
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

In a Metalink doc it says to keep this kind of log small, hence my previous message.
100Mb is BIG.

Could you stop the listener, rename (or remove the listener.log), the re-start the listener.
What is the behaviour now ?

Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Kimathi Njeru
Advisor

Are you running other services that are dependent on the Listener such as Oracle Intelligent Agent?
Check what the status is on the dbsnmp process.

Are there any Oracle jobs/events submitted that may be hung?

Check the status and then Stop the Oracle Intelligent Agent - 'lsnrctl dbsnmp_status' then 'lsnrctl dbsnmp_stop'
Hope this helps.

Kim
R. Allan Hicks
Trusted Contributor

There was a network bug that caused the intelligent agent to grow until it consumed the whole machine on earlier releases of 9i. It was fixed in Jun02 release 2 of 9i.

For your listner log to grow like that you either have a problem or tracing turned on.

We have a cron job that runs every night to switch listnerlogs so that they don't get to big. You may want to consider doing the same. Simply set up a script to rename your listener.log to something eles. We generally append the date. Then touch listner.log so that you don't have to bounce the listener and he can have a new log file to write into.

If you have detailed tracing on, you may want to change the logging level for less detail. Otherwise, be attentive to your disk space.

Best of Luck
"Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible