5116 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle on a SAN

Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Oracle on a SAN

People

I am trying to work out the best solution for my production HP-UX K360 server. I have seven production databases currently on a HP auto-raid system, but management have offered either a SAN or NAS solution for my estimated growth issues in the near future. By having enough disk space I'll be able to do a disk to disk backup of my various dbs and so by default saving operations time with better utiliisation etc etc. I also have a DR box to the same specs to consider. Any Answers would be welcome.

Regards Adonia
Never give up, Keep Trying
7 REPLIES 7
Jason VanDerMark
Trusted Contributor

Re: Oracle on a SAN

If your management is willing to allow you to implement a SAN, do it. :-) I have all of our databases running on a SAN(EMC Symmetrix) and I love it. The performance is great and you gain lots of great backup capabilities depending on the SAN hardware vendor.(e.g. BCVs which are a third mirror that you can break off at any given time and mount up elsewhere for backup.) I hope that this helps.

Regards,
Jason V.
Tie two birds together, eventhough they have four wings, they cannot fly.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Depending on the type of hardware you get as
to whether you can run disk to disk backups,
as most of them have an add on piece of
software that caters for this facility usually
at outrageous prices. The good thing about
SAN's is the capability of being able to
share disk space across a variant of systems
and of course different platforms. There is
now the capability to run disk across WAN's
and so backups can be taken at remote sites.
Perfect for DR's.

Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Call EMC, and then HP, have them toss together "solutions" for your environment. For me we went with an EMC SAN, and an EMC NAS that uses the disks on the SAN, so we actually have both SAN and NAS.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
We got a similar situation a few years ago.
We finally decided to go for an EMC.
Until now we did not regret it. We had NO downtime for disk failures on our Oracle databases in production. We connected the EMC to a V2500 and we are happy with this. SO if you have the chance, do as Harry said.
There is not need to get a fully equipped SAN machine, but buy extendable, so that you can add disks if necessary.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Steve Lewis
Honored Contributor

Hi,

My advice is to go for the fastest network connection you can get.
At least gigabit ethernet. Make sure it gets plugged into one of your HSC slots, to handle the i/o.
Are Network Appliances kit available in Oz? Their kit is easy to configure and quite fast. Just another supplier to compare against HP and EMC.
Krishna Prasad
Trusted Contributor

EMC is the leader in this area and very few of there customers have any complants except for price it expensive.

You can also attach your NT,Novell storage to this frame.
Positive Results requires Positive Thinking
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Owner of thsi thread Adonia has left as her contract ended as og August 2002.

Closing this thread.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying