5788 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle processes consume a lot of memory

mohdamir
Frequent Advisor

Oracle processes consume a lot of memory

Hi Gurus,
Our system running on HP-UX 11.31 and Oracle 10g with 32GB of memory. Since last few weeks the system shows memory utilization above 85%. From Glance, Performance Manager and UNIX95 command show most of the processes are belong Oracle. But the oracle team want us to provide them complete analysis ,observations and recommendations from our team. Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle processes consume a lot of memory

What about kernel tunings related to DB ?
Regards
Shibin
mohdamir
Frequent Advisor

Already configured as Oracle 10g prerequisite.
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

There are lots of threads related to this kind of issues. Below is the link to one of them. It may help you.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/High-memoru-consumption/m-p/4757058#M388787

Regards
Shibin
mohdamir
Frequent Advisor

# swapinfo -tam
Mb Mb Mb PCT START/ Mb
TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME
dev 32768 0 32768 0% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2
reserve - 21162 -21162
memory 31042 19495 11547 63%
total 63810 40657 23153 64% - 0 -

I don't think that swap space need to be increased.

shmmax has been set to 16 GB.

>> But the oracle team want us to provide them complete analysis ,observations and recommendations from our team

Sorry, let me get this straight - Oracle is using more memory than it was previously and the Oracle team want YOU to tell THEM why... isn't that the wrong way round? If they are responsible for Oracle they should be telling you why that is!

85% memory utilisation on 11.31 doesn't sound serious to me. That said, if you are determined to get to the bottom of this, there are a few things your Oracle team need to look at:

- Has the SGA been changed in size recently (I would assume not as even the worst DBAs can mae a connection between resizing the SGA and using more memory!)
- Are there more active connections than there were - more connections generally means more shadow processes, which means more memory consumption - this is something they can tune though using PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET

Either way, you as the sysadmin have very little control over how much memory Oracle uses - it's really for the Oracle team to tell you... I guess you could review the kernel configuration log ( /var/adm/kc.log ) tyo see if any changes to the kernel have happened recently, but there aren't many that could impact what happens to Oracle memory consumption - you might want to look for any changes to maxdsiz* or the shared memory parms.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
mohdamir
Frequent Advisor

Funny right? :)Yeah.. I will ask them to look into that. Never mind, just follow what they want. At least I've done my part. Thanks guys