1753765 Members
5813 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle's old hide.c program

VAS_1
Frequent Advisor

Oracle's old hide.c program

Does anyone use the 1992 hide.c program (I think provided by Oracle at one time)? If you do, have you used it on Integrity HP-UX 11.23?

Victoria
5 REPLIES 5
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Oracle's old hide.c program

It's extremely ugly C (and you will have to use the Bundled C Compiler to compile) as no development compilers will handle K&R syntax any more but it should work. This is really not a secure solution especially since you are essentially trying to hide from a ps -f something like username/passwd. You could always authenticate users as OS_users for sqlplus and that would be far more secure. Moreover, your ultra top secret passwords would no longer have to be kept as plaintext inside scripts.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
VAS_1
Frequent Advisor

I know it is the ugliest C -- and I won't touch on security issues. However, it is what the DBAs use and moving them into the 21st century doesn't seem to be an option.

It actually does compile -- with gcc and with the HP ANSI C compiler. Go figure.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Victoria:

As a matter of interest, with 11.23, you can (at least) limit the default length of the command line shown by 'ps'. The manpages note:

"The default length of the COMMAND field will be 128 (including the null terminator). This can be configured by setting DEFAULT_CMD_LINE_WIDTH=value in the /etc/default/ps file. The value of DEFAULT_CMD_LINE_WIDTH should be between 64 and 1024."

Regards!

...JRF...

VAS_1
Frequent Advisor

I love the configurable ps display, since I admin machines which run java processes with their incredibly long command lines :) That doesn't buy me what they need in this instance, though.

Is there an internals or kernel person reading this who knows if POSIX limits, perhaps on PATH_MAX, were enforced in 11.23 but not in 11.11?

I should probably move this question.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You can only use the ANSI C compiler as long as it is around and I recently received notice that only aCC (which does not speak K&R) will be available from HP in the future. In any event, converting this code to ANSI C is trivially easy.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.