108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracledatabase from UNIX to Windows

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ingo Duschl
Frequent Advisor

Oracledatabase from UNIX to Windows

hello, i have an oracleexport from a unix oracle 8.1.x with NLS_LANG=GERMAN.GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P15 set.
imade a new datebase on windows2000 server with sys_variable NLS_LANG=GERMAN.GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P15 set.
and with custom db installation setting WE8ISO8859P15 as codepage.
still i get an NLS_LANG fault trying to the import in windows. oracle says can do the translation ?!?! is there a specific thing setting upp the oracle db on windows?!?
6 REPLIES 6
SteveKirby
Frequent Advisor

Hmmm ... What you are doing should go through with no problems at all.
You might run the import from the command line and manually set the NLS_LANG variable, but I don't think that is your problem.

Can you cut and paste the output that export is giving you?

If Oracle is reporting that it will do the conversion then the import should continue loading the data. Are you getting other errors from the import?
You *might* have to do ignore=y, but I don't think you do.

Steve
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The character set used for the export will be stored in the export file and, when the file is imported, the import will check the character set that was used. If it is different to that defined by NLS_LANG at the import site, the characters will be translated to the import character set and then, if necessary, to the database character set.

In general it's usualy best to set to character set part of NLS_LANG to the same character set as the character set of the database you are exporting.

Attached is a document form metalink describing the "The correct NLS_LANG in a Windows Environment".

I hope this might show some light.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
malay boy
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
If I not mistaken the the charset during database creation must be the same.

see below :

CREATE DATABASE AIMAN
CHARACTER SET WE8DEC
LOGFILE '/honshu_oradata/dbf/aiman/log1aiman.log' size 500K,
'/honshu_oradata/dbf/aiman/log2aiman.log' size 500K
DATAFILE '/honshu_oradata/dbf/aiman/sys1aiman.dbf' size 10M;

So the export database also have CHARACTER SET = WE8DEC for easy conversion.

regards
mB
There are three person in my team-Me ,myself and I.
Ingo Duschl
Frequent Advisor

hello, i├В┬┤ve tried a few thing but still no result
here is the oracle output:
Export-Datei wurde von EXPORT:V08.01.07 ├В┬│ber konventionellen Pfad erstellt
Importvorgang mit Zeichensatz WE8ISO8859P15 und Zeichensatz WE8ISO8859P15 NCHAR durchgef├В┬│hrt
IMP-00069: Umwandlung in nationalen Umgebungszeichensatz-Handler fehlgeschlagen
IMP-00000: Der Import-Vorgang endete mit Fehlern
i├В┬┤ve no metalink can someone find out what to with IMP-00069
T
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

IMP-00069 ---- Meaning Could not convert to environment national character set's handle.

This usually has to do with the version of the export file. If the two databases are different release levels, Import does not support downward compatabilty--meaning an 8.1.7 Export will not work properly with an 8.1.6 Import.

May be the client version on the Windows is of a lower release, like from UNIX you exported with 8.1.7 exp utility and on Windows you are using 816 imp utility to import.

Indira A

Never give up, Keep Trying
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

see attachment
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)