Operating System - HP-UX
1752623 Members
4364 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oralce 9i release 2 installation doesnot progress after showing "initializing Java Virtual

deepakb977
Occasional Contributor

Oralce 9i release 2 installation doesnot progress after showing "initializing Java Virtual Machine"

3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Oralce 9i release 2 installation doesnot progress after showing "initializing Java Virtual

Oracle DB installer will normally use a X11-based GUI. Have you verified that your X11 connection actually works, e.g. by running "xterm &" or "xclock &" and seeing the respective application window appear on your screen?

Is the DISPLAY environment variable set correctly in the session you wish to use to run the installer?

If you are running the installation remotely from a Windows system, you'll need a "X11 server" software on your Windows system. If you are connecting to the remote system using a SSH client, you must have the "X11 forwarding" setting enabled; in most SSH clients, it is disabled by default. For example, in PuTTY, the setting is at Connection -> SSH -> X11 -> Enable X11 forwarding.

MK
deepakb977
Occasional Contributor

X11 is working fine. I can launch xclock.

when I launch installer it does not show the display related error. but it just keep stopping showing below message.

"Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /tmp/OraInstall2017-07-018_11-04-29AM/jre/bin/java. Please wait..."

After then no OUI gui is seen.

I am installing oracle 9i in hpux 11.23 .

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

See the OUI troubleshooting documentation for your Oracle database version:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B10501_01/em.920/a96697/appb.htm#943366

The OUI creates several log files: installlActions<timestamp>.log, oraInstall.out and oraInstall.err.

After starting the OUI, wait one or two minutes, so any un-responsive network connections get to time out and the OUI has a chance to generate error messages for them. Then look at the directories that should contain the OUI log files. Have the log files been generated? Are there any error messages in them?

If the log files don't even get created, then the OUI hangs in a very early phase. It might be caused by various reasons: for example, your /tmp directory might be getting 100% full as OUI extracts itself to it. Or if you have mounted (or auto-mounted) NFS filesystems and the NFS server is currently unreachable, those might cause the OUI to hang if e.g. the home directory of the oracle user is located on the unreachable NFS filesystem.

MK