1752726 Members
5919 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Outlook Express

Outlook Express

When I set up Outlook Express on my Desktop computer it works beautifully.

When I set it up exactly the same way on my Laptop I get a message that the server rejects the e-mail because my address is incorrect. I have double checked several times, and it is indeed correct.

Any ideas?

Thanx,
David
11 REPLIES 11
TKeller
Frequent Advisor

Is the laptop on the network at the time of OE setup? Also, if it is, is there a firewall in place blocking OE?
It is said you should treat your body like a temple. I treat mine like an amusement park.
William E Howard
Regular Advisor

Just to verify, it is telling you the email address you are sending a new mail to is invalid? If so, then its possible either the emails in your Outbox, or your outbox itself, are corrupted.

First clear your outbox of all files, and recreate the emails.

If it doesn't fix, close Outlook Express, remove outbox.dbx from c:\documents and settings\[username]\local settings\application data\identities\[uid string]\Microsoft\Outlook Express then reopen Outlook Express so it will recreate the file.

If neither of these work, you might want to create a new Identity in Outlook Express, and try from there. Go under File to Identites then to Add New Identity. Once you setup the new identity, including the email account, see if you are able to send an email from there. If so, simply import the file folders from your other identity to this one, and remove the old one.

If none of those work, post back with the exact error message and version of OE.
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

You may need to run a utitilty scanpst.exe
Can not remember where on the drive but corrects Outlook errors.
Else, reload Outlook on the Laptop.
Work Smarter Not Harder
Jules
Esteemed Contributor

Check that you have full stops and not commas.
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.

I need to add that Mozilla Thunderbird works just fine on the laptop.

The Verizon sends me a message that my own e-mail address is invalid, but it is absolutely correct.

David
William E Howard
Regular Advisor

David, did you try to create a new identity? If it is an issue with the account settings, then a new identity will provide a total break from the previous settings.

Also, what version of Windows and IE/Outlook express are you running, and what is the exact error message you are recieving from OE?

I didn't change identies.

I'm runnieg IE/OE 7.

David

I should also let you know that OE can receive mail, it just will not send it.

David
William E Howard
Regular Advisor

Try to setup a second identity and see if you are able to send email thru that account. By setting up a separate identity in OE it will totally sever any existing issues with the mailboxes or accounts already setup without actually removing anything.

Also, have you tried repairing IE/OE? Go to Start > run and type in sfc /scannow. Make sure you have all relevant Install Media on hand for OS incase it needs to repair a file.
MSKB for IE repair: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378