Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Output from netstat -a

SOLVED
Go to solution
ASSIST
Frequent Advisor

Output from netstat -a

what's the meaning of the state filed of netstat -an command?

CLOSE_WAIT
LISTEN
ESTABLISHED
SYN_SENT

4 REPLIES
ASSIST
Frequent Advisor

Re: Output from netstat -a

and FIN_WAIT_2......
John Poff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Those are different states of sockets. The LISTEN means that a process has a socket open and is waiting for something to come along and connect. The ESTABLISHED is a socket that is connected. The CLOSE_WAIT and FIN_WAIT_2 states are what you see on each end of a socket when they are in the process of closing. Often they will get hung in this state if one side or the other is not sending an acknowledgement.

Here is a link to a document that briefly lists the states.

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000063235782

I hope that helps a little. I gave a ten cent explanation to a ten dollar question. :)

JP
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Check out this link:

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000063235782

Also, do a search on netstat in the technical knowledge base. I has postings on each, like "What does CLOSE_WAIT state mean?" and so on.

Hope this helps

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Bill Thorsteinson
Honored Contributor

LISTEN indicates a process is waiting for a connection. Generally a server process.

ESTABLISHED indicates a connection is active.

CLOSE_WAIT and FIN_WAIT* indicate a connection is being closed or has been closed recently. The protocol stack is waiting to verify no more packets will arrive on the connection.

I think SYN_SENT occurs during startup.