6425 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PASSWORD

Mehmood Ansari
Frequent Advisor

PASSWORD

Hi

I would like to set the following on HP UX 11.11i system.

1.Password length should be 8 characters and should not take less than 8 characters.

2. Should not repeated last 3 password.

How can I set these parameters I could not find it in sam. Help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Re: PASSWORD

hi,

have a look at /etc/default/security.
"man security"

regards,
Thierry Poels.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

you should modify your /etc/default/security
to include appropriate settings

For more info, please see:

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/onlinedocs.py?mpn=B2355-90696&service=hpux&path=00/01/111&title=HP-UX%20Reference%20%2811i%20v1%29%20-%204%20File%20Formats%20%28vol%208%29

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

easy way is to start SAM
and go to securety
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Password history is not available unless you have changed your system to Trusted mode. To see if your system is Tristed, type the command:

ll /tcb

If there is no /tcb directory then your system is not Trusted. SAM can change your system yo Trusted. But note that Trusted understands long passwords (longer than 8 characters) while standard systems just ignore characters after 8. Once you convert to Trusted, the passwd command will fail if you type more than 8 characters. Once you are logged in, you can then change passwords to longer values with no problem.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin