1748104 Members
4772 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PC constantly running

Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

PC constantly running

A few days ago I tried to install a new Norton security program, but since it took off my other NSW, virus scanner and Norton fire wall (8 months left on subscription update service)I returned the program for a refund. After reinstalling my NSW and Norton fire wall, it takes twice as long to get the PC up and running and it keeps running in the back ground even when not in use. Should I be concerned about this?
c'est la guerre
5 REPLIES 5
Court Nederveld_2

I have run into this problem more than once. The only solution I have found is to download the symantec removal tool completely remove all traces of Norton products and then reinstall. I would try using the tool twice, once in normal windows and then try it in safe mode. Here is the site for the removal tool. I am pretty sure that there are componets left from the NSW that are causing the problems.

Good luck,

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

I have used this tool before the installation of the two products I had to begin with.

For some unexplanable reason my PC takes now the normal time to start upand the constant running is now only until shortly after the start up.
c'est la guerre
Jules
Esteemed Contributor

It is a common complaint about NIS. The latest versions are very high in overhead (processor use) particularly if you load NIS 2007 on a computer that is older than 2007. Remove it completely and use NOD32 which has 1/3 of the overhead and does a better job anyway http://www.eset.com/
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Joe,

I've been seeing a lot of Norton-related issues on friends' & co-workers' PCs beginning with NIS (Norton Internet Security) 2006, and even more with NIS 2007. 2 of my friends, one of them being my girlfriend, actually crashed their computer with an attempted upgrade from NIS 2004 to NIS 2006. I reinstalled it from scratch for her - wouldn't even boot to safe mode.

A friend of our network engineer (Cisco certified, Citrix certified, MCSE everything certified) upgraded to NIS 2007 and promptly lost all access to the internet. Norton support was unable to help him. Our network engineer spent 6 hours with him until he was able to determine what was causing it.

I used to be a real Norton fan, but not any longer. I think it's gotten bloated.

When your 8 month subscription expires, you might want to look at alternatives.

I installed Kaspersky on my girlfriend's machine, and I really like it. It will bug you a bit until you train it about what's safe, but I like that - asking your permission for MS Error Reporting to access the internet for example. I'd rather have it err on the side of safety.

http://www.kaspersky.com/

Our network engineer is using and recommends bitdefender.

http://www.bitdefender.com/

Just food for thought.

Pat
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

After I re-installed my 2006 programs, the PC operates now like it was before. It was just the first day or two after I had this problem.
Thanks for the replies guys
c'est la guerre