1753776 Members
7315 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PRM & changes to /etc/passwd

Dan Pearce
Occasional Contributor

PRM & changes to /etc/passwd

We have an HP-UX 11i development server where we are testing PRM. When the server was rebooted last week, prm didn't start although the config file was there. rc.log showed: Output from "/sbin/rc2.d/S820prm start":
Unable to configure PRM, previous configuration file not found.
"/sbin/rc2.d/S820prm start" FAILED The config file does exist on the machine but I did notice that there were a couple of user id's removed from the system (which were in the config file) and a couple of user id's added to the system which didn't exist in the config file for prm. When updates are made to /etc/passwd, will I need to manually update the config file? or what could have possibly stopped prm from loading at boot?
3 REPLIES 3
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Re: PRM & changes to /etc/passwd

You might want to check if some process or cron jobs removes files from /var/tmp while booting. The configuration files in this directory will be used when prm starts - PRM.prmconf and PRM.prmconf.old. Also check for the default configuration file - /etc/prmconf. If you want to check the validity of the config file:

# prmconfig -s

For creating new configuration:
# prmconfig -i

About users, did you specify anything on the config file? Normally PRM automatically updates it's group values, you do not need to update anything on the config file.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

yes,

PRM creates the configuration file under /var/tmp/PRM.prmconf.

If this file is removed then it would create problems.

You should then create the new configuration file as suggested by Shiju

Thanks
Jonathan Fears
Trusted Contributor

As mentioned in the previous replies, the removal of the copy runtime configuration /var/tmp/PRM.prmconf.old is most likely the reason PRM is not starting after reboot. This issue is corrected in the next release of PRM currently scheduled for June 2003.

Now to answer your question about /etc/passwd. When you use the 'prmloadconf [-f configfile]' command to create a template configuration file, PRM enters all records from /etc/passwd into the file. If changes are made to /etc/passwd, PRM does not pick these up automatically. The prmloadconf command must be run again on the configuration file and the new user records will be appended to it. This is true for any configuration file, whether initially created with the prmloadconf command or manually. prmloadconf does not however remove users from the configuration file once they have been added. This must be done manually.