1752782 Members
6153 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PSP 8.50 installation on SLES10 SP3 cciss won't compile

sdrake48
Regular Advisor

PSP 8.50 installation on SLES10 SP3 cciss won't compile

PSP8.50 install on SLES10 SP3 (online updates current to 8/31/2010) fails trying to compile cciss driver (says kernel is too new). Result is system has older cciss driver. mptlinux fails as well. Does PSP8.50 support SP3 of SLES10 or must I be running some older version of SLES10 in order to get PSP8.50 to install completely without exit code 3?
6 REPLIES 6
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Re: PSP 8.50 installation on SLES10 SP3 cciss won't compile

I have run into this a number of times..

Some vendors are 3-6mo behind new kernel releases..

Read the release notes on the PSP to make sure your kernel is supported..

Sometimes not being bleedning edge is the best approach.

My approach is to avoid utilities that cause you to spend more time admining the utility that is suppose to help than your main purpose of supporting the OS.
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

If I install SLES10 SP3 but not the current Novell patches - then PSP 8.50 installs cpq_cciss driver version 3.6.24-4 with no error.
However, after installing the current Novell patches (8/31/2010), the newly installed kernel 2.6.16.60-0.67.1 includes cciss version 3.6.20. At this point it is not possible to install cciss with the PSP because the new kernel is not supported. Guess we live with cciss v3.6.20.
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

Does HP have a recommended installation process for SLES10 SP3? PSP before online updates (SLES patches) or the other way around? And specifically which PSP (the most current version whatever that may be or a specific version that was planned to coincide with SP3)? Thanks.

In this particular case, it does not seem possible to stay current with SLES patches and the cciss driver. What is the plan for doing this?

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

my 2cents.. typically the "in-box" driver works just fine and unless you are doing something really special there is no need to update the driver..

the cciss driver is included with most linux distro's.. and works just fine as is..

sdrake48
Regular Advisor

Thanks Tim, unfortunately our customers read the 'fixes' in the updated drivers and want them. Unfortunately, maintaining a SLES10 server with online update keeps the kernel at a level higher than what the 'new' HP drivers support. There seems to be no coherent strategy between HP and Novell for maintenance. HP probably should not post new drivers that don't support 'current' kernels - they should supply them to Novell for inclusion via online update. Of course, I could be wrong.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

I think you are right on..

My only opinion is to reason that NOT being bleeding edge is a good thing. For this and other reasons.

It is observed as a best practice in many environments. Let other find the problems to new issues first ?

If the customer wishes to be a beta site then they can be.. Just make sure they understand the realities.

Till next time...