1748138 Members
3578 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Partion magic

Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Partion magic

A while back Jon mentioned to use PM to partion my hard drive and a url where to get one "user friendly" for the most klutzy user. I have looked on the net, but all the choices makes my head spin. Could any one provide me with a name and version of such a program. Thanks.
c'est la guerre
5 REPLIES 5
Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

Re: Partion magic

Hi,
Is the url of your previous question??

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=65097

if so can u give me the URL that was given for partition magic.. i can help u out..

Ganesh
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Yes it is. I guess it was a different person who posted the url.
I would like to create one or two partitions on my hard drive, but I have not the technical knowhow and ability to grasp the instructions in the helpfiles of programs.
I have an 80gigs hd and was thinking of c: 40 gigs and two others of 20 gigs
c'est la guerre
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

It is likely that the full 80G has been alotted to your C: drive (with the possible exception of a hidden partition that contains a system recovery tool). You can check if the full disk has been allocated by:
On the desktop, right click "My Computer" and select "Manage".
The computer management is probably broken into 3 sections and you want to look in "Disk Management" under the "Storage" section.
There you will be able to see how your drive is physically chopped up or if it is completed allocated to C:

If it isn't completely allocated, you should be able to right click on the disk and select "Create Volume". The Disk Manager walks you through this pretty easily.

Unfortunately, the disk is probably already completed allocated. This is why everybody is mentioning the 3rd Party tool. Partition Magic, www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic , will be able to partition the drive even if it is already completely allocated. It is smart enough to move any files off of the area to be formatted prior to creation of the new partition. I found PM to be very user friendly and it didn't take to walk through it. It will confirm the operation prior to executing it. The only drawback is the cost.

Your only other option (that I know of) would be to start over and reinstall Windows, creating the partitions of your choice during the setup. Time is money, so I'd rather pay $60 than lose a 1/2 day rebuilding.

Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Thanks Jim, I will go and buy the PM program because I have not a clue about reinstalling the OS and at the same time saving my files besides copying on cd's I inserted a pic of the storage section to be sure that all of the 80 gig are on drive c: with this partition program, I take it that I do not have to back up my files?
c'est la guerre
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

As a network admin..... Backup the data first. The most perfect program will always fail on the most critical data. :-)

Anytime a program messes around with the disk layout beneath your data, there is always a chance that something "could" go wrong.

Not saying that you WILL have problems, but if you do, and we didn't suggest backing up the data first.. (*sigh* ..I've worked in Corporate environments far too long).

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda