5907 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Password length

Mehmood Ansari_1
Occasional Contributor

Password length

Hi

How do I define password length. I changed passwd as ABCDEFG1234 which is 11 character, infact it is taking only 8 character. It is not showing any error massage that password length is exceed. One can login with first 8 character or all 11 character, which I understand is wrong. System is not converted to trusted . Any one can help me please.
3 REPLIES 3
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Re: Password length

For an untrusted system the max length of the password is only 8 characters. However on a trusted system it can be as long as 80 characters. You can define it in /etc/default/security.

From man security,

MIN_PASSWORD_LENGTH
This parameter controls the minimum length of new passwords. It is not applicable to the root user on an untrusted system.

MIN_PASSWORD_LENGTH=N New passwords must contain at least N characters. For untrusted systems N can be any value from 6 to 8. For trusted systems N can be any value from 6 to 80.

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

For non-trusted system password length can only be 8.

For to make it more you should convert your system to trusted.

Then check for the patch PHCO_20334.

Then the parameter MIN_PASSWORD_LENGTH should be modified in /etc/default/security file.

Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

unless you convert to a trusted system, you will not be able to use passwords of length greater than 8!

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)