8748 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Patches on HPUX11.00

Dreymann, Thomas
Occasional Advisor

Patches on HPUX11.00

Hey and thanks to reading this,
which is the right way to see, if a System is good enough for production. I got a HP9000/800/N4000 with hpux11.00. Now, I wanted to know the patchlevel, securitylevel and the typical parameter I have to set to the kernel.

many tnx
today is today
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Patches on HPUX11.00

Not asking much are you?

The answer here is: It Depends!

1) Patches - If you have one of the latest QPAKs installed, or have run Custom Patch Manager from the ITRC and are up to date, then patches are probably OK. The only problem is that HP is constantly coming out with new patches, so you should occasionally re-run CPM, or install the latest QPAK to keep up to date.

2) Security - The depends entirely on your environment. Every company has different requirements.

3) Kernel Parms - Entirely application dependant. If you are running some sort of OLTP or DB app, then check with the vendor for their recommendations. The one thing I do recommend is to either lower dbc_max_pct from the default of 50 to something more reasonable, or set bufpages to a vales, so that you have a fixed buffer cache rather the possible default of 50% of RAM as buffer cache.
nancy rippey
Trusted Contributor

If you have the support for it you can ran a patch analysis on your server, ftp the output to HP and go through the process of having HP select the appropriate patches.

As for kernel settings, it depends, are you running Oracle, Tuxedo etc. If you are running Oracle things like maxdsize, semmns, semmni and shmmax should be changed,
for Tuxedo you would want to up the messageing parameters.

Hope this helps
nrip
Dreymann, Thomas
Occasional Advisor

hmmm, it is not so easy, 'cause the time before I administrate AIX (sorry)...

How can I see the latest QPAK Patch and what does this Patch do.
On which way I can run the Custom Patch Manager, if I have install this software ?!?

tnx again ;-)

Thomas
today is today
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

The Maintenance and Support page here at the ITRC offers a portal to the Patch Database. See the sections titled "Patching" and "Downloads and Licensing".

For instance, if you choose, "Standard Patch Bundles" [under either section], you can select "View Support Releases". Within there, you can drill into the contents of available bundles to see exactly what patches are contained therein.

Instructions for the Custom Patch Manager may be seen under the section "Patching". Just select it for more information.

Regards!

...JRF...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

I should also offer these links if you are new to HP-UX patch managment:

For an overview of patch bundles, start here:

http://www.software.hp.com/SUPPORT_PLUS/

For an excellent, in depth guide to the patch management tool:

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/5967-3578.pdf

Regards!

...JRF...
Dreymann, Thomas
Occasional Advisor

okey, thank you. I will check this side and see if I can work with this otherway I will
ask again here ;-)

Thomas
today is today
erics_1
Honored Contributor

Dreymann,

You may also wish to assign points to those fellow administrators who took the time to give you very thoughtful and informative responses. This helps the rest of us determine what was helpful to you (8-10 pts) and what wasn't (0-2) in case someone searches on this thread in the future.

Best Regards,
Eric