1748126 Members
3576 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Pav. 7909 upgrade WinMe to XP

Kristian Matthews

Pav. 7909 upgrade WinMe to XP

Motherboard Asus A7V-ML rev.1.07

Please help! I have upgraded from Me to XP Home on my Pavilion 7909, but I am having a few problems. The main issue being that XP takes too long to power down, and hangs on the "Windows is shutting down" screen for approx two minutes. The other being that most of the time when I close down, Explorer.EXE is not responding. AND sometimes when I boot up, it hangs on the desktop screen for three minutes or so. If I place the cursor over the taskbar, it turns to an eggtimer which obviously indicates the pc is working, but I cannot do anything until it completes loading. I have been told by Microsoft to check my Motherboards compatibility, but I cannot even find it on the Asus website (A7V-ML) I disconnected most of my USBs after I did a new installation on XP, and just have the Logitech mouse (I havent reinstalled the software for this) and Lexmark Z23e printer connected. I have upgraded my PCCillin2000 to XP. These are the only software I have added since having to do a system recovery to Win Me, and then a new install with XP. I cannot find a BIOS upgrade anywhere, which I though may solve the problem. I have heard of Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 having a negative effect with Win XP. Has anybody had any issues like these? Thanks for your time. kristian_matthews@yahoo.co.uk
2 REPLIES 2
James Sharley

Re: Pav. 7909 upgrade WinMe to XP

We upgraded from ME to XP Home Edition. The HP 660C is not being instructed by the PC and the hardware has been recognised. We are also having processing difficulty on our Gateway 1300, for initiation of applications like Word and changing from one User profile to another. Our next step is to buckle and purchase a new HP, but this seems disloyal to the trusted HP660C.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: Pav. 7909 upgrade WinMe to XP

Depending on your motherboard.... I had an issue where my motherboard was only partially ACPI compatible. I had to disable ACPI support in the BIOS, then select APM to resolve some problems with Win2K.

Your Motherboard manual will show what it supports.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda