1748081 Members
5118 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pavilion zt1290, power problems

Richard Witt

Pavilion zt1290, power problems

Hello,

I've been running SuSE linux (currently version 9.0, kernel 2.4.21-215-default) on my zt1290 for almost 2 years now without many problems. However, for the last 3 months or so I've had a bad problem which prevents me from removing or connecting the AC adaptor. If I remove the AC adaptor, the laptop locks-up hard. Nothing recovers it, only power-cycle. I also cannot find anything in the logs about what happens just at the AC disconnect. The only message I have that might at all be related comes during booting:

May 28 13:12:23 wunjo kernel: ACPI-0165: *** Warning: The ACPI AML in your computer contains errors, please nag the manufacturer to correct it.
May 28 13:12:23 wunjo kernel: ACPI-0168: *** Warning: Allowing relaxed access to fields; turn on CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG for details.

If I use acpi=off as a kernel boot parameter I don't have this (lock-up) problem, but then other things don't work properly because I need the ACPI PCI routing. Sorry, I don't know what other details to give since I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to ACPI. If I missed anything just ask me. Any help is greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Quite a few early bios/hardware implementations of ACPI didn't entirely get it right. Are you using the most recent bios release for your notebook. If not, upgrading the bios MIGHT solve the problem. If your problems persist, then you probably need to contact HP customer support.

Bruce
Richard Witt

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the input. I am using the lateest BIOS that I'm able to find (ID.M1.05 released 9/23/2002), so it looks like I'll have to get in touch with customer support.

Cheers,
Richard
Denis Junior Tosoni

Try with option "nolapic" on kernel boor parameter.
Richard Witt

Hello Denis,

Thanks for you suggestion. I tried "nolapic" (though I thought this was only introduced in 2.6 kernels) and I also tried just plain "noapic". Unfortunately, neither one helped. I did contact customer support and after exchanging a few e-mails I was told my message had been forwarded to the appropriate department. I'm hope that doesn't mean I will never hear back from them. I'm still open for suggestions. :)

Cheers,
Richard
Richard Witt

So, after a bit of study I've managed to patch the ACPI AML to eliminate the above warnings. Nothing caught fire so I guess I didn't hurt anything. I have the patched DSDT and am happy to give it to anyone who wants it. I'll post it at http://acpi.sourceforge.net/ as well. I also have the original so if anyone at HP wants to compare and show me how to do it the "right" way that would be great.

Unfortunately it didn't solve my problem. However, I did findout that if I turn off both acpi and apm (kernel parameters acpi=off and apm=off) I do not have the above described problem with connecting/disconnecting the AC power. So that says it is definitely a software problem and not something wrong with my hardware (as I was beginning to fear). I guess I'll live with it like this for now. Of course I'm still open to suggestions on how to debug the real problem.

Cheers